Precision Fixed Workstations

2 Bronze

T5810 not detecting NVMe M.2 in BIOS or Win10

Hi,

I purchased HP EX900 SSD, 500 GB, M.2 PCI-e NVMe, and after installing it to my Dell precision tower 5810 it is not detected in BIOS nor in Windows 10 Disk management.

After reading another posts on forum, I've:

• upgraded bios to version: Dell Inc. A34, 19. oct. 2020
  • turned RAID to off, is set as AHCI now
  • disable secure boot

I'd love to hear any other solutions about how to correctly set up or enable NVMe.

Many thanks.

Replies (19)
3 Zinc

@willJ , we just posted at the same time again.  If you check and it doesn't show up in slot 1, shut down the machine and try slot 4 or 5 (as marked on motherboard).  This process will eliminate the possibility that you have a bad adapter.

@Chino de Oro  these are images of my BIOS (sorry for bad quality). Under Device Information only Samsung SSD 2.5 inch is detected. I also added picture of Primary Video Slot as you requested. I'm not sure about which slots 1/4/5 slots on motherboard are you talking about. Can you refer to the motherboard image/screenshot I've added in my previous post (NVMe is currently plugged into slot 6. on that image).

IMG_20220112_092714.jpg

IMG_20220112_092735.jpg

@willJ , pictures or screenshots are not showing up yet.  When you install NVME SSD to PCIe slot, in BIOS, it will detect as mass storage under Primary Video Slot (Table 6).  Refer to the manual on page 31 for motherboard info and slot naming.  The slot number I referred to are imprinted on the motherboard along each slot if you look carefully.  I suggest to try other slots in case it does not show up in slot 1 in BIOS.  If you try and none of the slots are shown with mass storage, you have a bad PCIe adapter.

3 Zinc

First picture just showed up.  It doesn't detect your NVME.  Move the adapter to a different slot (except slot 3 and 6) and check your BIOS again.

2 Bronze

This seems very similar to my current attempt. I have a T5810 with a factory Dell dual PCIe interface in the x16 Slot 1 (w/2 NVMe SSDs - C: boot and D:)

I replaced the dual PCIe with a Dell Quad PCIe and added 2 more Dell NVMe SSDs (so now 4 drives - all on a quad card in Slot 1). All NVMes are just 256GB. Dell lists the Quad card and the NVMe drives as compatible with the T5810 so all should work.

I can still boot from C: and see (I'm using it now) so the new quad card works [w/2 NVME at least] but on boot the BIOS doesn't recognize the 2 added NVMe cards - just the original C: and SSDs.

My guess is this is actually the same issue -- the hardware is good, but I don't know how to get the BIOS to find the added SSDs. Dell's literature says this config is supported -- but not how to configure the system.

Is this just an issue of some BIOS switch? or some BIOS upgrade?

3 Zinc

@DTrax , change slot.

Referring to the picture posted in the first page ( with the motherboard , for convenience I'm borrowing it) , slot 1 is a 16x wired as 8x . Obviously that means that only 2 nvme units can work there ( 4 + 4 )

mazzinia_0-1642038461921.png

-----------------------------------------------------
Happy owner of a dual silver T7820

Thanks! I missed that (now obvious) detail. A simple move worked as it should:

Quad PCIe card from x16 Slot-1(PCIe-3.0 x4) [Diag #6] to x16 Slot-4(PCIe-3.0) [Diag #3]. No BIOS issues. Directly recognized by Win10 for formatting with DiskManagement.

@DTrax wrote:

Thanks! I missed that (now obvious) detail. A simple move worked as it should:

No BIOS issues. Directly recognized by Win10 for formatting with DiskManagement.

Excellent (good work here guys).

Hey, since you have NVMe-SSD(s) working in a PCIe Addin Card ...
if those NVMe SSD appear in BIOS, would you mind uploading a image of it?

It might help the other users.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.

Actually.... I was not able to get the Dell BIOS to display details of individual NVMe devices; unlike HDDs. At least there was nothing to configure in the BIOS. I've found nothing on Dell describing anything about installing a Quad card and more NVMe.

The 'tricky bits' were just some loops in moving the PageFile to a SSD and logically 'linking' the physical NVMe slot in the Quad PCIe card with assigned drive letter (not required but easier to recall later on). I found nothing in BIOS or Win10 to identify that association.

Secure Boot off in BIOS might visibly show all drives.

I don't have an NVMe SSD, but if want to see all of drives in the Boot Menu, Secure Boot has to be off and Legacy Option ROMs on.  I don't know if your BIOS has Legacy Option ROMs, or even if it would apply to showing NVMe SSD.  But I'm sure you get the jest of it.

With my BIOS in UEFI mode, Secure Boot on and therefore Legacy Option ROMs off (has to be off with SB on), BIOS and Boot Menu doesn't show me all of my drives, but it sees them, as there's no trouble booting between 2 drives and using storage drive.

Be sure to turn Secure Boot back on when you're done.

- Please kudos posts you like!
- Please "Accept as Solution" posts that are a solution.
- If you have an Optiplex, stating its model number AND size speeds up troubleshooting. Components vary.

Code of Conduct
TechSupport YouTube

I'm a big fan of Dell, a Dell user, and not an employee. This forum is user to user with occasional assistance by other Rockstars or Dell employees.

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions