Start a Conversation

Unsolved

W

7 Posts

January 11th, 2022 22:00

T5810 not detecting NVMe M.2 in BIOS or Win10

Hi,

I purchased HP EX900 SSD, 500 GB, M.2 PCI-e NVMe, and after installing it to my Dell precision tower 5810 it is not detected in BIOS nor in Windows 10 Disk management.

After reading another posts on forum, I've:

• upgraded bios to version: Dell Inc. A34, 19. oct. 2020
  • turned RAID to off, is set as AHCI now
  • disable secure boot

I'd love to hear any other solutions about how to correctly set up or enable NVMe.

Many thanks.

3 Posts

January 12th, 2022 23:00

Thanks! I missed that (now obvious) detail. A simple move worked as it should:

Quad PCIe card from x16 Slot-1(PCIe-3.0 x4) [Diag #6] to x16 Slot-4(PCIe-3.0) [Diag #3]. No BIOS issues. Directly recognized by Win10 for formatting with DiskManagement.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 13th, 2022 11:00

@DTrax wrote:

Thanks! I missed that (now obvious) detail. A simple move worked as it should:

No BIOS issues. Directly recognized by Win10 for formatting with DiskManagement.

Excellent (good work here guys).

Hey, since you have NVMe-SSD(s) working in a PCIe Addin Card ...
if those NVMe SSD appear in BIOS, would you mind uploading a image of it?

It might help the other users.

3 Posts

January 14th, 2022 15:00

Actually.... I was not able to get the Dell BIOS to display details of individual NVMe devices; unlike HDDs. At least there was nothing to configure in the BIOS. I've found nothing on Dell describing anything about installing a Quad card and more NVMe.

The 'tricky bits' were just some loops in moving the PageFile to a SSD and logically 'linking' the physical NVMe slot in the Quad PCIe card with assigned drive letter (not required but easier to recall later on). I found nothing in BIOS or Win10 to identify that association.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

January 17th, 2022 17:00

Secure Boot off in BIOS might visibly show all drives.

I don't have an NVMe SSD, but if want to see all of drives in the Boot Menu, Secure Boot has to be off and Legacy Option ROMs on.  I don't know if your BIOS has Legacy Option ROMs, or even if it would apply to showing NVMe SSD.  But I'm sure you get the jest of it.

With my BIOS in UEFI mode, Secure Boot on and therefore Legacy Option ROMs off (has to be off with SB on), BIOS and Boot Menu doesn't show me all of my drives, but it sees them, as there's no trouble booting between 2 drives and using storage drive.

Be sure to turn Secure Boot back on when you're done.

2 Posts

February 14th, 2023 14:00

I had the same problem. Dell T5810: ATA mode; RAID, BIOS A34, Windows 11 with a few minor adjustments (Not Supported), Windows 10 Pro 64Bit, GPU and installing the WD Black m.2 SN770 PCIe NVME SSD,B key. I trurned off Secure Boot just in case. I dont know if it matters. The first attempt, my GPU was in the 2nd PCIe channel from the top and I installed the adapter with a m.2 in the 4th PCIe channel from the top. The system would not recognized the m.2 with any software I tried or CMDs.

I check out the other Dell post for answers and found Support saying that the particular card was not supported. I found no solution that they mentoned to work on the T5810. I thought about it for a few minutes, made sure all my RST drivers were updated and I had WD Dashboard installed for cloning software for my other OS on a Samsung OEM m.2 PCIe Sata, M+B Key SSD in an another adapter in PCIe channel 5 with a SATA3 attached cable for the first boot and read/write purposes. It was a small, generic m.2 OEM for testing purposes from another machine. I am working with a small budget for my build; hence, cheap drives.

I figure something had to be blocking the signals, configuration issues or maybe it just does not support the drive at all. I wasted my money. I decided to swap the order of things.

When swapping your GPU, it may be best to add a legacy display, basic driver in case you lose your Manufacturer GPU driver support by accident in the process. Sometimes, swapping PCIe channels a GPU loses the already intalled drivers and you need to have a basic backup in device driver list. This could also include the GPU itself, defaulting to one available display port on the unit. This step will let you avoid potential loops, blue screens, blank screens and what not when reconnecting and powering up the systems. Most blanks, blues, and loops are becuse of lost display drivers and audio drivers. In rarer events, the boot code. That is also replaceble, another story. If it happens, finding and plugging the cables in their default display port and using advance startup/ safemode will allow the addition of lost driver support.

After preparing for swapping everything around, I installed the adapter with the WD into the first PCIe channel at the top. I left the other Samsung drive in place. I moved the GPU to the 4th channel from the top. I reconnected everything and powered the system on. After a few minutes of self-reconfiguration it powered on but still no WD.

I opened up the Administrator CMD Prompt and used Diskpart and List Disk and there was the WD drive. I entered CLEAN, CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY, FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK AND ASSIGN, (You will lose all data on the drive if previously used) then EXITed out of everything. I went back to my drives and there it was. I used the WD Dashboard and TRImmed the drive, then to install Acronis. I used Acronis to clone the OS from the Samsung drive to the WD drive. When the cloning was finalized. I powered of the system, unplugged from power source and removed the Samsung drive. I plugged the power cord back up, powered on the system and let it run through its self reconfigurations and it was done. I was then running off my WD Black SN770 NVME drive from PCIe only.

Double checking what I have done; powering off the system. I removed the drive to place it inthe 2nd PCIe channel to test.The drive booted and worked great in the larger slot with the GPU in the 4th channel still.

I then swapped the GPU to the 2nd channel and the drive to the fourth. I was met with a "No Bootable Device Message."

Taking the time to experiment, it did not matter what channel or slot the GPU was installed in. They worked. It would not boot if the GPU was placed in channels before the m.2 SSD Drive. It would run and do fine as long as it remained before the GPU. My end result was sticking the m.2 NVME SSD drive in any slot availble as long as the GPU was in one of the channels below it. After experimenting, I turned back on Secure Boot.

As for not supported is that they do not support the configurations, not that it does not work. It was not  designed for the software or hardware.

Sorry about any typos or grammar, Im not a typist.

This may not help everyone but it may help some. 

June 22nd, 2023 08:00

Interesting I was doing all same Things but  with Kingston Raid Assisted SSD PCIe Card

Peditor X  by Kingston which Run about 1.4Gb/s   Transfer . .  seems  Onboard  Chip on that Card

Would work in  Either of  Slots - so I didn't have that Issue ( Good to Know ) Thou . .

Spoiler
Kingston have become Hard to Find ~ NOW . .
Kingston have become Hard to Find ~ NOW . .

June 22nd, 2023 08:00

OK  Not Reading the Entire Thing , BUT  HELLO  there is NO  M.2 Slot on or in T5810 or T5820 ..

Where did that Info Come  From ..

Disregarding Bad In of Bad Roads or Bad  Directions , Simple

Pull  One of other Devices Like DVD or another Drive of USB Card Reader ..

Especially it's  Card  Reader , If it has one .. this Free's Up some IR'gs   Resources

Install it then Reboot to Install what You took Out ..Place back in  . .  T5400's Famously did this Always .

I also Believe I had Legacy Boot Checked - Enabled  . . Raid Off  . . 

It could just be Bio's - now is Not Reading other 15 Post Tell Me How I did  . . SMILE

5 Practitioner

• 

4.7K Posts

June 23rd, 2023 22:00

You can add NVMe ssd to optional Dell Ultra-Speed Quad or Dell Ultra-Speed Duo and installing them onto PCIe x16 slot.  You can add up to x4 drives to a Quad adapter or up to x2 drives on a Duo adapter.

This is Dell Ultra-Speed Quad 

Dell ultraspeed quad.jpg

This is a Dell Ultra-Speed Duo

Dell ultraspeed duo.jpg

This is M.2 slots on Ultra-Speed drive.

M.2 slots on UltraSpeed drive.jpg

This is the M.2 slots on an Ultra-Speed Duo

M.2 slots on UltraSpeed Duo.jpg 

No Events found!