Precision Fixed Workstations

Last reply by 05-04-2022 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

T5820 CPU SWAP

Hello!

here is my question - I got Xeon 2145 but I think the CPU is going bad!

can i install i7 or i9 cpu instead of the super-expensive xeon CPU

looks like the socket is compatible but rather than that - will the motherboard and system overall, take it and run with it?

Thanks

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions

Hi ichobmw,

The specification tested on T5820 is listed below, any other upgrade is not recommended by Dell as that may cause hardware or compatibility issue.

• Intel Xeon processor W family. Up to 140 W, Single CPU
  • Intel Core i7/i9 X Family of Processors. Up to 165 W, Single CPU
NOTE:  Intel Xeon W and Core X CPUs are not supported on the same motherboard.

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session. Currently only available in the USA.

View solution in original post

Replies (15)

Hi ichobmw,

The specification tested on T5820 is listed below, any other upgrade is not recommended by Dell as that may cause hardware or compatibility issue.

• Intel Xeon processor W family. Up to 140 W, Single CPU
  • Intel Core i7/i9 X Family of Processors. Up to 165 W, Single CPU
NOTE:  Intel Xeon W and Core X CPUs are not supported on the same motherboard.

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session. Currently only available in the USA.

Thank you! I wanted to be sure before I spend money on CPU and then get stuck with it if the system is not supporting it!

Final question - what about the new xeon family - 2200... I read that its coming out now! and looks like the price will be much better than the previous version....and looks like it will be the same socket!?

Hello,

As suggested by my colleague in the earlier post are the supported processors that are tested by Dell. However, if you wish to get more information on the new processor family and it's support, you can reach out to our sales team. I am sure they should be able to provide you with more information on the same.

Regards,

Muntazir Patel

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

Hi ichobmw, we hope to have answered all your questions with regard to Proc. If there are any further queries please share the service tag we will check and assist you further. We will archive the case for now.^PC

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

Does Dell have a list of supported CPUs by bios version, motherboard config? I have a 5820, bios 2.0.2, Intel W-2102 CPU and curious to know what other chips are supported. Will the system support W-2140B (120W, Xenon W series)?

Yes, it works with no problems.  upgraded several W-2104 to W-2140B

• NOTE:  Intel Xeon W and Core X CPUs are not supported on the same motherboard.

Does this mean that if you have a xeon i can not install a core x cpu ? 

Thanks in advance

3 Argentum

@ichobmw 

@koekel 

@the_super_zee 

@forevertourist 

Hi...

I had a similar problem, but with the Xeon CPUS. The Dell have different models of Motherboards with the Same Chipset to PRECISION 5820. For example, the My Motherboard Support all Xeons W-21XX and only the Xeons 2223, 2225 and 2235 (ABSURD!). Have another motherboard who only Supports Xeon W-21XX and another who Support ALL XEON W 21XX and 22XX.

For Processor Core IT IS ANOTHER MOTHERBOARD with another CHIPSET MODEL x299 (WHO ONLY SUPPORTS INTEL CORE LINE).

It is all... The only way to you know what processors your motherboard support you need instal the HWINFO64 and take the MOTHERBOARD MODEL NUMBER, open a Case in DELL SUPPORT and wait the engineering team response... They are the only who know what each motherboard model supports...

This is not the solution... be careful!

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor