Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

5 Posts

March 7th, 2020 10:00

T7600 Xeon processor upgrade path

Have a used T7600 I've been using for a bit over a year.  Lovely machine!  Dual Xeon E5-2620, 64GB RAM.  It's my primary G/P machine.  I use it occasionally to rip our videos (DVD / Bluray) using DVDFab.  I added a nVidia GeForce GT710 because I wanted a video card that did NOT use a fan, 'cause I'm not a fan of video card fan failures.  The GT710 helps speed up DVD ripping with its GPU.  I may look at a newer video card later, with higher CUDA rating.

I'm tossing around the idea of upgrading my Xeon processors to get a bit more performance for ripping.  A document from tomshardware.com says that basically ANY of the E5-2600 series Xeons could be used in this machine, all the way up to E5-2687W.  I'm leaning towards the E5-2643 'cause they can be purchased relatively inexpensively, over 50% increase in clock, but I'd be losing 2 cores/processor & increasing CPU power consumption from 95W to 130W.  The E5-2667 looks pretty good, with almost a 50% increase in clock, same # of cores & only 20 more watts of power consumption.

I haven't looked at how they are installed but am hoping that the heat sinks are transferable from chip to chip?  Just fresh heat sink compound required?

46 Posts

March 7th, 2020 14:00

A heat sink designed for 95W may or may not be capable of more wattage.  For example, my new workstation came with a heat sink that is at its absolute maximum: not only is it barely sized for the TDP I have, with no headroom, but even moving up 15 W would require a new heatsink... which, not incidentally, Dell refuses to sell.

Dell really doesn't support upgrades well.  Given Dell's cost-cutting on my own machine it's hard to imagine they would have shipped a 130-W-caoable setup with a 95W heatsink, though you may be lucky.  otherwise you'll have to hope for a heatsink on ebay unless you have room for aftermarket.

5 Posts

March 13th, 2020 14:00

Thx for the reply.  Yeah, I am well aware of thing that DELL will & will not sell to its customers.  Sales people would promise the world, to make a sale, but reality was less afterwards.  Aftermarket has lots of great products, but it's always fun seeing what you can fit in a DELL chassis.

I'm not in a big rush to upgrade processor, as what I have suffices, for now.  I figure a GPU upgrade would provide me with a bigger payback for DVD / Bluray ripping, as more CUDA cores would improve throughput.  But I can live with performance I have now, for now.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

March 14th, 2020 13:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @HDKaj 

The T7600 shipped with all 4 wattage CPU's.

But I can not find any reference to different model fan/heatsink???

Hardware Specifications for the Precision T7600 Desktop Workstation:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln290764/hardware-specifications-for-the-precision-t7600-desktop-workstation?lang=en#Processors

Intel® Xeon®E5-E5-2687W Processor(Eight Core HT, 3.1GHz Turbo, 20 MB Intel Smart Cache, 130 watt)

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/Xeon/E5-2620.html

Best regards,

U2

573 Posts

July 6th, 2020 00:00

Hi @hammarlund ,

Wonder if you already completed with your T7600 upgrade project. If not, here's my experience to share with you.

- Performance

For CPU performance, here's my CINEBench results (dual 2687W) for your reference. You may find this free benchmark tools from Microsoft Store and run it on your existing system as comparison and see if worth for the investment.

6.jpg

- Tempurature

While E5 2687W v1 with the highest TDP (150W) among all E5 2600 v1 family members, 2 units of them together with stock heatsink (DP/N 01TD00) often lead to CPU temperature at 6X°C under low loading / 7X°C under general loading / up to 89°C under CPU stress test. All fans run in their highest speed as if it's gonna blow! I then investigate if there's any possible way to implement liquid-cooling system without modding (yup, I don't have a clue on any modding works). And finally got the followings:

Dell T7910 Liquid-Colling unit 

DP/N: 0TMJK2

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Easy installation without difficulties. Just fit for T7600 even though it's designed for T7910. No BIOS alert received. Maximum CPU temperature under stress test drops significantly from 89°C to 73°C, and keep at 4X°C on generally usage.

5.jpg

However, as these liquid-cooling units changed the direction of how wind blows, you may not close the original side panel or have to add extra fan at the back panel like those in this video.

See if information above helps.

9 Posts

August 6th, 2020 23:00

Hi @bmcowboy 

Do you know where I can buy the heatsink that he mentions? The ebay link you put has a different model or at least different from the one you have in your photos and video, do you know what version of the E5 2687W allows? I was thinking of putting version 4 but I don't know if I can handle it

a greeting

573 Posts

August 7th, 2020 00:00

Hi @Raven1505 ,

Not sure why those eBay links changed sometimes somehow. You may check out this:

DELL PRECISION T7910 LIQUID COOLANT HIGH PERFORMANCE HEATSINK - TMJK2 

TMJK2_eBay.JPG

Or simply google "Dell TMJK2" will find what you need.

For Xeon CPU version, T7600 base on Intel C600 chipset and support E5-2600 v1 family only. Further reference, T7610 on Intel C602 chipset support both E5-2600 v1 and v2 family.

9 Posts

December 29th, 2020 14:00

Thank you very much for the answer, do you happen to know if you can put a tesla k80 on this equipment? I have tried to make it work but I can not achieve it, they say that you have to enable "above 4g decoding" so that it can run more than 2 gpu, but I do not see this in the bios options.

I currently have an rx 580 4 gb and I want to add the nvida tesla k80

573 Posts

December 30th, 2020 18:00

Hi @Raven1505 ,

Does your workstation POST with dual GPUs installed? As per a Dell's KB here, update BIOS version to the latest one and change PCI MMIO Space Size from default small to large may do the trick.

217 Posts

December 31st, 2020 07:00

I do not own a T7600, but I do have a T7500 and an T7610.  I have had no issues with multi GPU setups in either machine.
T7500 = GTX 1080 ti and GTX 1060
T7610 = RTX 2070 Super, GTX 1080 ti, and Quadro P4000

Although if you can, try to stay away from "open air" style GPUs because they vent out the side of the card.  The T7600, T7610, and T7910 work best with Blower style cards.  If you want to use the top PCIe port you also need to find a card with the power plugs on the back of the card, not the side (The side panel latch mechanism is in the way.)
My current T7610 setup is two blower cards.  GTX 1080 and GTX 1080 ti.

9 Posts

January 1st, 2021 17:00

I have already changed PCI MMIO Space to "large" and it simply does not show anything, the tesla k80 video card is well placed, if I remove the power cable it already turns on the computer well, in effect only the number 2 appears and from there does not happen.

I currently have the A17 version in the bios, I have looked for an update but on the dell page it appears that it is the latest for the T7600

9 Posts

January 1st, 2021 17:00

How could you put more than 2 graphs?

I have put PCI MMIO to "large" and it does not work, I do not know if it is due to the type of video card, it is a tesla K80, this card is somewhat rare.

2 Posts

November 26th, 2022 07:00

Has Dell come up supply of these heatsink coolers (0TMJK2) to purchase?

Roy

2 Posts

November 26th, 2022 07:00

I haven't found anyplace that has this 0TMJK2 for sale. Anybody have any ideas??

573 Posts

November 26th, 2022 11:00

Seriously?

bmcowboy_0-1669492225205.png

173 Posts

November 27th, 2022 09:00

The all in one cooler that bmcowboy pictured would be a great solution except that

1) They are pretty much unobtainable.  Current prices, used, are around 200 bucks each.

2) They are typically 5 years or more old and thus are reaching the end of service life for an AIO liquid cooler.  

3) The exhaust vertically, not laterally, and so you either have to buy a cover panel with vent holes (about 100 bucks) or cut your own holes (free, except that you may want to find some grill material to protect fingers and such).

I have the less capable heat pipe version (6G1DT - look it up on ebay) and do see both thermal throttling (albeit with dual 2699a cpus) and in fact the exhaust from one cooler shoots directly into the the second one.  Completely inept thinking on that design (or maybe I installed them wrong?). 

There is not much space to install a larger and better heat pipe cooler and besides with lateral flow you'd still blow hot air from one cpu into the intake for the second cpu.  So one must consider liquid.

The unobtainable/too-old-to-be-reliable OEM Dell units (actually made by Asetek) pictured above are nicely compact.  If you wish to buy a new cooler,  the radiator/fan space is limited.  Ideally you would get a 240mm (two fan) radiator and I don't see two of these fitting in my T7910.  I think that the T7600 is the same or smaller, right?  If one wanted to one could try to mount two single-fan radiators in the top of the box. 

It's very frustrating that one can't get custom lengths of tubing on AIOs (or at least be able to choose between 30/45/60 cm).  I've been thinking of buying an AIO, some tubing connections and two reservoirs, and mounting a box with fans/radiators and reservoirs on top of the unit.  

For the 2699s cpu (145W TDP) I could use a single fan (120mm) radiator and if I knew I could find two with adequate tube length I'd be in like Flynn.  Anyway, others have been thinking about the cooling issue for a while.   BTW the better CPUs do make a difference!

No Events found!