Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

April 8th, 2018 01:00

T7610 - Bios reset

How do I reset the bios if I can’t boot , run the bios menu item or run the diagnostics. Booting from the CD ROM, Nic, external usb just does nothing

Every other bios menu item seems to be fine. I.e it recognises all my hardware: ie the correct procs, memory and disks?

Is there anything I can do on the motherboard to re flash the bios?

The front diagnostics panel shows. ‘123’ lights on.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 8th, 2018 08:00

Try clearing the CMOS memory (BIOS).  With the PC powered off, open the case and remove the CR2032 coin cell battery located on the motherboard for AT LEAST 10 minutes.  Reinstall the battery, observing polarity.  

Power on and see if that helps. 

3 Posts

April 8th, 2018 10:00

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately after removing the battery and power for ~ 0.5h there is no change in the No boot, not being able to launch the diagnostics menu item and not being able to access the update bios menu item. All the other bios functionality seems fine.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 8th, 2018 12:00

Lights 123 is "Some other failure has occurred".  Not very helpful.  It tends to lead me to a motherboard problem, may not be, but that is my feeling.  

For testing, disconnect the data cable to all the hard drives, CD/DVD drives then try to boot and see if the diagnostic lights change or if its able to boot to the BIOS. One possibility according to the manual is a defective peripheral causing the problem.  

3 Posts

April 9th, 2018 01:00

If I disconnect the data cables i can still boot into the bios, but the behaviour and lights remain unchanged. Other than I now get an alert, which you would expect, hard drive not found.

The change setup menu item takes me to the bios options which detects the hardware and all the data seems fine, but if I choose run onboard diagnostics or bios update nothing happens.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 9th, 2018 03:00

Have you updated the BIOS?  There is a BIOS recovery option for some models.  I don't know if your model is one that can be recovered or if even possible however the link is below.

Sadly, if a BIOS is the problem (and not recoverable as stated) the fix is to replace the motherboard.  The 3 lights as noted indicate a failure but not specific.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln300716/bios-recovery-options-on-a-dell-pc-or-tablet?lang=en

10 Posts

December 2nd, 2019 03:00

There will definitely a bios recovery method. But dell wont tell about it. Ctrl+Esc not worked on Precisition T7610.

No Events found!