Start a Conversation

Unsolved

NC

60 Posts

February 15th, 2021 07:00

Want to create a high performance multi-NVMe RAID 0 array with encryption on Precision 7820 with Ultra-Speed card

On my Dell Precision 7820 workstation with Ultra-Speed card running Win 10 20H2 I'd like to create a BitLocker-encrypted multi-NVMe drive RAID 0 volume and maintain the very high performance I get from combining drives. 

I believe high performance with encryption should be possible because on-drive controllers can accomplish it with individual drives.  The question is whether any mechanism for controlling and combining the drives will also support that encryption.

I can tell you with authority that combining dynamic drives with DISKMGMT.MSC, while delivering very good performance, does NOT support BitLocker in any way.  The volume just does not show up in BitLocker as a candidate for encryption.  Performance is high with this setup, however, with I/O rates above 10 gigabytes/second.

Might a RAID array created through Intel VROC support drive encryption? Intel RST? Some other tool?

TL;DR:  How do I create a high performance multi-NVMe RAID array on Ultra-Speed card with BitLocker hardware encryption?

Thanks.

-Noel

1.5K Posts

February 16th, 2021 12:00

Bit locker does not support Dynamic Volumes at all BitLocker overview and requirements FAQ (Windows 10) - Microsoft 365 Security | Microsoft Docs

Perhaps this article will help you find an encryption software that will work with Volumes What is Volume Encryption (jetico.com)

I don't use encryption so I can't personally help.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 16th, 2021 17:00

"RAID 0 array with encryption' is not an available feature.

February 20th, 2021 07:00

Heh, you guys are just stating the obvious:  That the solution ISN'T obvious.  But I'm betting there is a solution that can be found.  I'm still investigating.

-Noel

1.5K Posts

February 20th, 2021 08:00

I have thought that the 2nd link I posted would get you on the right path to finds a program that might work for you. Most likely none of us has actually encrypted a Dynamic Volume? That would be a reason we can't recommend anything for you.

February 22nd, 2021 00:00

I do thank you for replying.  My point is that it does not have to be a dynamic volume.

I would really like it if an encrypted RAID array could be created with the Dell Ultraspeed card, and I'm willing to create a new volume an entirely different way (which is why I mentioned RST or VROC), but hey, even if a dedicated RAID controller with encryption as a feature is required, so be it.  Knowing what I know of encryption tech, there is really no hard reason multi-gigabyte per second I/O can't be had with encyption.  I accept that Windows doesn't provide it with older striped volume tech (though it seems like that wouldn't be a long jump if each drive would provide hardware encryption).  That's not the only game in the world.  I've had systems with RAID built with RST or dedicated drivers and HBA hardware, just nothing yet with the new high performance NVMe drives.  I'm still looking.

-Noel

1.5K Posts

February 22nd, 2021 13:00

Seems to me if you purchase a 4x M.2 NVME Adapter card someone will have one that supports RAID Just as they do for SATA Cards? I don't think RAID cares if your HD's are SATA or NVME as long as you have the correct Adapter card and you have a 16x PCIe slot available I'm just guessing about the 16x slot perhaps an 8X will work you need to get that information from the Adapter Card Manufacture Check this out seems this card will support 4x NVME and RAID Amazon.com: ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 PCIe 3.0 X4 Expansion Card V2 Supports 4 NVMe M.2 (2242/2260/2280/22110) Upto 128 Gbps for Intel VROC and AMD Ryzen Threadripper NVMe Raid: Computers & Accessories

Of course, you may need or want a Professional Adapter card you can look for the brand quality you require. to me Asus Products work great when they work, not much support for issues with them when they don't.

April 25th, 2021 18:00

The intent here is to try to use the Dell Ultraspeed 4 drive NVMe array card that came at a premium with the system.

1.5K Posts

April 26th, 2021 12:00

As stated earlier in this thread Bit locker is not supported for Volumes. Another reply has a link that leads to software that does support Encryption on Volumes. Another reply links to a 4X NVME Card that does support Encryption on RAID Volumes.

If you ordered the 4x Card from Dell with your Workstation, your Service manual should show you how to deal with the 4x card.

You could deal with Business Support as they may or may not be able to set you off in the correct Path to 4X Raid and encryption.

RAID was created for Hard Drives and there is not much to gain by RAID NVME SSD as the latest SSD are operating near the PCIe Bus speed already

RAID 0 would create a very large volume if you needed more than 8 TB Volume Amazon.com: Sabrent Rocket Q 8TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 Internal SSD High-Performance Solid State Drive R/W 3300/2900MB/s (SB-RKTQ-8TB): Computers & Accessories

No Events found!