Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

31 Posts

December 29th, 2018 06:00

Will Xeon E5-2687W work in Precision T5600

I have been offered 2 E5-2687w processors but I am wondering if the T5600 can use them, according to wiki they do support them and go as far as E5-2690.

Server (Xeon E5-16xx/26xx)

29/12/2018 LGA 2011 - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_2011 4/10

would I need a larger power supply or would the 635W be able to handle it?

Thank you.

H

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

January 4th, 2019 18:00

According to Intel, the E5-2687 is 150W.  Your PSU should have an easy time with 2 of them, as CPU's draw the most power.

Intel Xeon E5-2687W

Precision T5600 Spec Sheet

I think you'll be happy to know your T5600 takes the E5-2600 family of processors up to 8 cores.

573 Posts

January 13th, 2019 03:00

Hi there. The default 635w PSU should be fine for dual E5-2687w provided that you’re not using any other PCIe cards with heavy power consumption. Here's my experience to share.

I upgraded my T5600 CPUs from 2x E5-2650 v1 to 2x E5-2687w v1, and everything’s fine with the 635w PSU. But then when I tried to install a RTX 2070 GPU and a NVMe adapter on it, the system go unstable, for example it auto-reboot whenever I run a GPU benchmark tool. After replacing a 825w PSU, it turns darkness to light!

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

January 13th, 2019 15:00

Hi @bmcowboy,

I think you meant to say you "installed" and not "replaced" the 825w PSU?

573 Posts

January 13th, 2019 17:00

Hi Bradthetechnut,

Sorry for my poor English. I mean replacing the existing 635w PSU with a 825w one.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

January 13th, 2019 17:00

No need to be sorry.  Just wanted make sure it was clear which PSU was being used.

1 Message

February 2nd, 2019 08:00

Hello!

And when you installed the 150W cpu-s, there where no error message?

Message on boot, that the power supply is not enough?

Thanks.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

February 2nd, 2019 17:00

Hopefully @HughHill answers your above post.  Meanwhile, there shouldn't be an error message.  From the owner'manual, "Your current power supply does not support the recent configuration changes made to your system. Please contact Dell Technical support team to learn about upgrading to a higher wattage power supply."

Yet, neither the T5600 Spec Sheet nor the Owner's Manual state having to upgrade to the 820w PSU to run that CPU.  May be @bmcowboy can shed some light as he has answers in this thread also?

Some troubleshooting involves - Does your unit still run with the previous CPU installed?  Make sure there's no bent pins on the CPU you're installing.  (I don't know if you bought yours new, refurb, or used.)  Re-seat the CPU.

573 Posts

February 5th, 2019 04:00

Hi @Dellcs ,

No, it didn't prompt any error message when I ran dual E5-2687W with the original 635w PSU. Thought I do found previous post with user claimed 835w PSU is required for those 150w CPUs. Not sure why there's a difference here. Anyway, you may need a PSU with higher output when same problem happened on your workstation.

31 Posts

April 17th, 2019 17:00

Sorry guy's I was away due to a family incident, I'm back now but got caught up in work till recently where I found time and ended up getting the processors and memory. I have made a reply stating what happened it should be below this or further down. but in a nutshell I was getting errors - Alert! Correctable memory error has been detected in memory slot DIMMx Your current power supply does not support the recent configuration changes made to your system. Please contact Dell Technical support team to learn about upgrading to a higher wattage power supply. It was starting up for a while if I pressed F1, but now it wont let me even do that.

31 Posts

April 17th, 2019 17:00

Sorry for the late reply, my sister passed and things were up in the air for a while.

As to your question, yest it did come up with a message -

On starting I get these two messages although when viewing it on that black start up screen it looks like just one long message.

Alert! Correctable memory error has been detected in memory slot DIMM1_CPU2
Your current power supply does not support the recent configuration changes made to your system. Please contact Dell Technical support team to learn about upgrading to a higher wattage power supply.

I suppose this means I need to get a new power supply?

as for the correctable memory error I'm getting this now with any memory over 2gb strips (currently using 6 x 8gb strips) I checked with the supplier first that they were the right ones with my system and I checked them using DELL's inbuilt diagnostic program which surmised that all the memory were fine?

In fact, it stated that everything had passed.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

April 17th, 2019 19:00

Hi @HughHill,

Glad you're back.

By any chance was BIOS updated before changing CPU's?

The T5600 is 7 yrs. old and CMOS batteries last about 5.  Unless done more recently, replacing it is a cheap fix.  If it doesn't work, you still have a new battery on your MB.  Low CMOS batteries can cause all sorts of bizarre problems.

31 Posts

April 23rd, 2019 10:00

Hi Brad,

Yes I updated it around 6 months ago, I installed the cpu's and kept getting an error so I updated my PSU to the 635w it seemed to go ok for a while but I switched it off for the Easter weekend and when I switched it back on all I heard was the fans, no post and no devices (No keyboard, No usb, no monitor?)

I am stumped just about to buy another T5600

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

April 23rd, 2019 20:00

@bmcowboy wrote:

Hi there. The default 635w PSU should be fine for dual E5-2687w provided that you’re not using any other PCIe cards with heavy power consumption. Here's my experience to share.

I upgraded my T5600 CPUs from 2x E5-2650 v1 to 2x E5-2687w v1, and everything’s fine with the 635w PSU. But then when I tried to install a RTX 2070 GPU and a NVMe adapter on it, the system go unstable, for example it auto-reboot whenever I run a GPU benchmark tool. After replacing a 825w PSU, it turns darkness to light!

I'm almost out of ideas myself; but, I was realizing we never discussed the wattage of the GPU.  Do know what it is or the name of it so it can be looked up?  If needed, System info should show you the name of it.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

April 23rd, 2019 21:00

@HughHill wrote:
...in a nutshell I was getting errors - Alert! Correctable memory error has been detected in memory slot DIMMx Your current power supply does not support the recent configuration changes made to your system. Please contact Dell Technical support team to learn about upgrading to a higher wattage power supply. It was starting up for a while if I pressed F1, but now it wont let me even do that.

If there truly is a memory error, Dell recommends reseating the chips one at a time until an error reappears.  In other words, turn on after each chip is reinserted.

Precision T5600 Owner's Manual

You also said you had nothing, just spinning fans upon turning on the computer after Easter.  By any chance did you try a hard restart?

Another option - Use the "Contact Support" link below this post to contact Dell Support directly about a or the power supply.  I'd mention the memory error to see if it's true or truly related.  Amazon or eBay might have better deals on an 825w PSU than the Dell site.

One note of confusion - It was stated you upgraded to a 635w power supply.  I thought that's what you had all along (?).

Sorry you ran into so many problems with the T5600.  Hopefully they're resolved soon.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

May 3rd, 2019 20:00

@HughHill wrote:

Yes I updated it around 6 months ago, I installed the cpu's and kept getting an error so I updated my PSU to the 635w it seemed to go ok for a while but I switched it off for the Easter weekend and when I switched it back on all I heard was the fans, no post and no devices (No keyboard, No usb, no monitor?)

No motherboard - Based on the above pgh. and isolating it, it sounds like a motherboard problem, possibly dead, but can't diagnose from here.  If it was almost anything else, diagnostic lights would come on and power light would possibly be orange.  Power light doesn't turn orange in all scenarios.

T5600 Diagnostic Lights

No Events found!