Start a Conversation

Unsolved

TM

68 Posts

March 10th, 2021 12:00

Windows 10 network drops

Hi there, I recently have been having an issue with my desktop where when i boot the computer up, the Internet works for about 15-30 minutes, then just randomly drops to connection and stays in the "Identifying" phase. It seems to have started to happen this week, at the start of which i believe some sort of update had happened with Windows 10. Here's what i have tried so far:

1. I found someone else had to do this, but it made no difference for me: Device Manager/Network device name/Properties/Advanced, turn off Energy Efficient Ethernet and Wake on Magic Packet
2. Updating the drivers form both Intel and Microsoft
3. Completely uninstall device and drive and installed it fresh
4. Do whatever Windows update it says is available
5. sfc /scannow didn't bring up any issues either

The only way to fix it is by restarting the computer which can get quite annoying, as i have had to restart 3 times today.

This is with a Dell Precision 5810 and the controller is the Intel I217-LM. The build of Windows is Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2 19042.804. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

1.1K Posts

March 11th, 2021 06:00

Every month, windows 10 updates are a russian roulette and normal users are playing betatesters.

My suggestion would be to remove the March ones , then Settings > Windows Update > Advanced options

Scroll down and Pause updates > pause until 5th of april

Then use https://www.askwoody.com/ and follow the Defcon to know when to reactivate the updates. ( you want the status to change to Defcon 4 )

Do this every month ( pausing. pause the day after you update and pause for as long as possible. you can always stop pausing the instant askwoody considers it safe )

68 Posts

March 11th, 2021 09:00

Oh this is really cool, I will bookmark that and check it from time to time.

1.5K Posts

March 19th, 2021 07:00

Sounds like your NIC may be failing if its an onboard hardware you may need to pick up a PCIe NIC card and Install.

Have you tried F12 boot and running the Hardware Diagnostic tools may or may not pick up failing hardware.

68 Posts

March 19th, 2021 08:00

I did just run a diagnostic but everything came back as normal.

4 Operator

• 

1.1K Posts

March 19th, 2021 09:00

It's because is a software issue.

When there's an OS update and immediately after something doesn't work as it was, there's no reason to look for other culprits.

Cause ( microsoft releasing patches without proper testing ) vs effect

1.5K Posts

March 19th, 2021 09:00

Well, you can uninstall the WU that caused the issue, Report it on the MS Windows forum, and see if they come up with a workaround.

I would go get the NIC to manufacture the latest driver and uninstall the one that WU installed and install the manufacture's driver that should solve the issue.

I would suggest that like most of us notebook users and the precision units  user you turn off WU Driver updates

I have all Dell Auto updates software uninstalled and have installed Dell Command update, which is a Manual update App you get to look at each update and decide if you want to install it.

Well, you can uninstall the WU that caused the issue, Report it on the MS Windows forum and see if they come up with a workaround.

I would go get the NIC to manufacture latest driver and uninstall the one that WU installed and install the manufacture's driver that should solve the issue.

I would suggest that like most of us notebook users and precision  user you turn off WU Driver updates

I have all Dell Auto updates software uninstalled and have installed Dell Command update, which is a Manual update App you get to look at each update and decide if you want to install it.

You could also run some DISM tools to see if your system needs some repairs.

There was a WU released yesterday that fixes some error from the WU on the 10th these were primarily Printer issues for some people you might try it and see if it helps your situation

March 18, 2021 - KB5001649 (OS Builds 19041.870 and 19042.870) Out-of-band

No Events found!