Highlighted
1 Copper

Windows resizing and relocating after Windows 10 1903 update

I have a Precision Tower 3620 with an Intel HD Graphics 630 display adapter connected to a Dell P1428HZ monitor via the Display Port.  This has been working well since June 2018.  After the latest update to Windows 10 1903, whenever the monitor comes out of sleep mode, I find windows repositioned and/or resized.  The display adapter is up-to-date at version 25.20.100.6576. 

What's worse is that an open spreadsheet keeps getting amaller and smaller with evey transition from active -> sleep -> active.

This is very frustrating becasue I went through the same situation when I initially installed the machine in June, 2017.   At that time I temporarily solved the problem by switching to an HDMI cable. It took a year, but Intel eventually released a driver that enabled the use of the DP cable which is much more manageable than an HDMI cable.

There are newer display drivers available on the Intel site, but these are "DCH" drivers based on a new OS framework and they don't seem to be supported by Dell at the moment.

Has anybody had any experience with these drivers using display port connected monitors in a configuration similat to the one desribed above?  

Labels (2)
2 Replies
1 Copper

Re: Windows resizing and relocating after Windows 10 1903 update

With the update to Windows 1909 this problem resurfaced.    I updated to the latest diplay driver for the Intel HD Graphics 630 adapter from Dell (Version 26.20.100.7263) but that did not resolve the problem.   I switched to using an HDMI cable instead of the DisplayPort cable and the problem was immediately resolved.  There is clearly an an issue with either the monitor, which is a Dell P2418HZ or the display driver when a DisplayPort cable is used.

Anybody experiencing this problem shoud consider  try switching to an HDMI cable instead.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: Windows resizing and relocating after Windows 10 1903 update

The reply above isn't the whole story.    While the move to HDMI stopped the resizing and relocation of windows when the monitor wakes up, occasionally the monitor would not go to sleep.   I discovered that under Settings -> Dislpay -> Graphics Settings I had Outlook chosen as the app for which to customize the graphics performance.  Why, I am not sure, but I must have set that at some point.   Removing that selection seems to  allow the monitor to be trurned off when the inactivity time elapses.