Start a Conversation

Unsolved

VX

1 Message

April 6th, 2020 13:00

max hard drive capacity for T5810

hi,

I'd like to know if there is a maximum capacity for 3.5" hard drives installed internally in my T5810, and if this is a maximum per hard drive or a total for all hard drives.  I'd also like to know what limits hard drive capacity as some forums seem to insist that hard drive capacity should not be limited by the computer itself, only by the OS.  Currently I have an SSD boot drive and a 4tb storage hard drive installed internally.  I have a caddy to install a 2nd storage drive in the optical bay.  Would like to know if my system would support 2 - 8tb hard drives if i replace the current 4tb hard drive.

thx, v

31 Posts

October 20th, 2022 07:00

I have the same question. My T5810 has 4 x NVMe drives one of which is my boot drive.

I am trying to convert it to a mini file server on my home LAN by adding 3 x 8TB SATA drives plugged into the HDD-0, -1 and -2 SATA ports on the motherboard. I have one of them in the drive cage which I installed and two others in the 2 x 3.5" bays provided in the chassis.  The SATA drives are enabled in BIOS, but they do not show up in the OS. I saw in the Dell Spec Sheet that one of the Storage Options is " 3.5" SATA - Up to (3) 4TB 5400 rpm"

Does this mean that 7200rpm SATA drives won't work in the T5810?

Does this mean that an 8TB SATA drive will not work in the T5810?

Is there an alternate PCIe SATA controller card that I can install to run the 3 x 8TB drives (Seagate Iron Wolf NAS - 2 x ST8000VN004, 1 x ST8000VN0022)?

Any help is appreciated.

Neil Howard

5 Practitioner

• 

4.6K Posts

October 20th, 2022 08:00

It's a bit late for you to modify/edit your post but don't post your service tag in public forum as it's your personal info.

Check your BIOS settings, you may try to enable AHCI in SATA operation.  7200rpm SATA drives work.  8TB SATA drive work. 

31 Posts

October 20th, 2022 14:00

Thank you, Chino de Oro, for the AHCI suggestion.

My BIOS currently has SATA operation set to RAID, which I am not using. If I switch it to AHCI I will probably have to reinstall the OS and all my apps on my NVMe boot drive, right?

I will happily do this if you are pretty certain that switching the SATA mode to AHCI will allow the 3 x 8TB 7200 rpm SATA drives to work.

Neil Howard

31 Posts

October 20th, 2022 14:00

Does anyone have experience running multiple SATA drives in a Precision T5810? What are your SATA operation settings in BIOS and do you have SATA drives of 8TB or larger?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Neil Howard

5 Practitioner

• 

4.6K Posts

October 20th, 2022 15:00

Hello @nhowardtx , it will be just a simple change from RAID to AHCI and you don't need to reinstall os.

• Open elevated command prompt (as administrator)
  • Type:  bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal
  • Restart the computer and enter BIOS setup
  • Change the SATA operation mode to AHCI
  • Save change and exit.  Windows will boot into safe mode
  • Run command prompt again and enter:  bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot
  • Reboot the computer and Windows will boot with proper AHCI driver.

Now, check in disk management to see the status of your hard drives.

235 Posts

October 20th, 2022 15:00

@nhowardtx , for a system first released 5 years ago - detecting 8GB drives shouldn't be a problem (chipset: C612).
Identifying the problem depends on your operating system, for instance in MS-Windows you can check device manager, disk management or even system log via event viewer. This information normally should give you reasonable hints why drives are not visible.
Apart from enabling SATA in BIOS there should be system information page showing detected devices (hopefully listing newly mounted drives) or system diagnostics section, after changing (and saving) settings it is a good practice to do reboot.
Of course unless something different has happened there (e.g. data or power cables are not connected.

Another quick approach to eliminate other potential issues - might be by plugging a different drive (you know works for sure) into same (power/data) connectors, it will become clear outright whether storage controller port is operational or not.

31 Posts

October 20th, 2022 18:00

Thank you, Chino de Oro, for the slick way and clear instructions for changing to AHCI without having to reinstall the OS. I will try all of this tomorrow and report the results.

Neil Howard

31 Posts

October 20th, 2022 18:00

Thank you for your response, sam55todd.

My OS is Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, v22H2. I keep this system up-to-date, so I am pretty sure that I have the latest chipset and BIOS (A34) versions. I checked Device Manager and there are little yellow triangle signs by each of the HDDs seemingly indicating that is why the OS is not recognizing them.

Back in my BIOS, ALL of the drives are check-marked in System Configuration--> Drives and HDD-0, HDD-1 and HDD-2 all show the 8TB Seagate drives being detected (in BIOS). So I think that all of the power and data cables are connected OK.

I plan to change the System Configuration--> SATA Operation to AHCI from its current configuration which is "RAID On" to see if that will allow the drives to also be detected by my OS.

Thanks again for your helpful suggestions!

Neil Howard

31 Posts

October 21st, 2022 12:00

sam55todd -

I checked the disks in Device Manager and saw a little yellow triangle next to each of the 3 newly-added  HDDs. I clicked on properties and it showed that none of these disks had any drivers loaded. That's probably why they were not visible in the OS. The BIOS change to AHCI probably forced a load of the appropriate drivers for these disks because they are now visible and usable following the SATA operation BIOS change to AHCI mode.

Neil Howard

31 Posts

October 21st, 2022 12:00

Cinco estrellas para el Chino de Oro!

The BIOS edit method you outlined above worked well. I didn't even have to cancel out of safe mode on the second reboot. (I tried but it gave me an error message: " An error occurred while attempting to delete the specified data element. Element not found."). It didn't seem to enter safe mode and the OS on the C: drive was unaffected by the AHCI BIOS change.

I checked the BIOS and AHCI was still set and best of all: my three 8TB drives are now visible and usable in the Windows 10 Pro for Workstations OS!!!

The lesson learned is that for a Dell Precision T5810, you must have the SATA Operation mode set to AHCI for any of the HDD-0, HDD-1 and HDD-2 disks to be detected by the Windows 10 OS.

Thank you very much for your very useful advice!

Neil Howard

5 Practitioner

• 

4.6K Posts

October 21st, 2022 17:00

I am glad that you get all your drives working.

37 Posts

October 28th, 2022 14:00

The new 20TB drives should work ok

No Events found!