Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

1 Message

August 8th, 2018 20:00

precision 7920 tower how to raid 0 on dell ultra-speed drive

when i purchased this workstation i requested the following

• Operating system (Boot) Drive Internal PCIe SSD (Dell Ultra-Speed Drive)
  • Dell Ultra-Speed Drives (PCIe SSDs) Dell Ultra-Speed Drive Quad PCIe SSD x16 card 4 M.2 512GB PCIe NVMe Class 40 Solid State Drive
  • RAID Configurations for Dell Ultra-Speed RAID 0 M.2 Boot

when i got the system windows is booting from dell ultra-speed drive but its definitely not raid 0. i checked device configuration all SSD are shown as Non-Physical Raid drives and there is no Intel(R) VROC hardware key.

So I contacted my supplier from Singapore and they are saying i have to use AVAGO MegaRAID 9940-8i to do raid 0 on my dell ultra-speed drives.

I am confused now so would like to know how to do raid 0 on my dell ultra-speed drivers?

56 Posts

August 14th, 2018 20:00

I don't know if this will help but there is a discussion on another forum about this issue and the general conclusion is "On the Dell card there is no hardware raid capability. You can software raid the individual SSD's or configure them as independent drives."  As seen here: https://hardforum.com/threads/dell-quad-m-2-pcie-card.1894309/page-3

March 20th, 2019 06:00

No, you don't need to buy an extra controller card to make RAID 0 work. First off, take a look at this document: https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln312158/configuring-raid-in-a-dell-precision-workstation?lang=en

If you open the card side of the box and look near the bottom corner of the motherboard by the last PCI slot, you'll see a white connector that says VROC - Virtual Raid On CPU - if there isn't a 'key' plugged into it, you need to get one.  Can try your Dell person or buy an Intel VROC key off of Amazon - probably the cheapest.  Once that's installed, follow the instructions in the above document and it works just as described.  Without the key, the option you need just doesn't show up.  

Once RAID is configured, then use something like Macrium Reflect software to format/clone your drive as it won't show up in File Explorer until then.  I just used the free version and it worked great.  I didn't have the Ultra-Speed card from the factory, so I just cloned the original OS disk onto the new RAID volume.  From there, you'll have to go into BIOS Setup from the F12 Boot Menu and select UEFI boot if it's not already selected.  

March 20th, 2019 07:00

See also https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln312251/upgrading-storage-in-the-dell-precision-5820-7820-7920-tower-workstations?lang=en

Video for the 7920 upgrade wasn't working but essentially the same as the 5820 as to location and what it is.  Part number is 750-ABBU for the VROC key.

January 14th, 2020 17:00

What I strongly suspect right now is that you need the adapter card's driver. RAID controller cards all need drivers.

Highpoint shows this. They have a pdf I can get a rough snapshot uploaded here.raid.jpg

14 Posts

January 28th, 2020 09:00

I just did the VROC RAID (0) using two front flexbay mounted factory Toshiba 1TB SSDs last night. Add in cards like the AVAGO MegaRAID are *not* the only solution to this problem.

Ordered the VROC key on Amazon got it in last night, plugs into a labelled spot on the mobo (not hard to spot).

Booted to the existing Win10 image (on 1TB SSD in position 0) and downloaded and installed the Intel driver update for RST (with VROC support).

Using Macrium Reflect (free) I created an image of the SSD with the OS and saved it to an attached USB external drive (ended up being only something like 450GB big).

Created a separate USB recovery stick using Macrium’s menu option.

Left the recovery stick installed and rebooted and hit F12 to confirm Macrium recovery USB stick would in fact boot. Went as planned with no issues.

Rebooted and hit F12 to get to the menu and then selected “Device Configuration” from “Other Options” list. Went to the Intel Virtual RAID on CPU section of the menu.

Built the new RAID 0 array using the two 1TB Toshibas and accepted the suggested name of “Volume 0” as the name of the array.

Confirmed the selections and confirmed the array was built.

Rebooted to the Macrium recovery stick and restored the saved image back to the newly created 1.77TB RAID array.

Rebooted and removed the recovery stick and the system booted to the newly restored image.

The image that was restored was intended for a 1TB SSD. So some adjustments needed to be made to 1) move the Dell Recovery tools partition to the end of the array, and 2) to extend the usable drive space to take up the rest of the unallocated space. For both of those tasks I used the personal edition version of Paragon Hard Disk Manager. Once that was installed (I had a previous license) the changes took about 3-4 minutes in total, all GUI driven and easy to understand what you’re trying to accomplish.

So for those who are wondering about VROC compatibility on a 7920 that didn’t come with it from the factory, it does work with the factory supplied 1TB NVMe SSDs.

S.

No Events found!