MJ101
1 Copper

serial port overrun

Precision Tower 3630 running Windows 10 64bit Builtin COM1 Serial port works but has overruns on input, some of the characters received are lost (115K baud). Device Manager lists COM1 under C240 LPC controller Driver listed as version 10.0.16299.15 from Microsoft, dated 2006 System claims the driver is up to date Is there a more recent driver, or something to be enabled in BIOS to get COM1 to work properly?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
7 Plutonium

Re: serial port overrun

The Dell downloads show an Intel Serial I/O driver.  Its not clear if this is the hardware device for the RS232C I/O or not, but if it is its a later driver than the default Windows driver.  The 2006 date on the Microsoft driver is a generic date, there are several devices that have similar old dates. e.g. the Microsoft Firewire driver that I use on my recording studio system also has a 2006 date but its the "latest" driver. 

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=C67R4&osCode=WT64A&produc...

By the way, the "Workstation" section of the forum is for Precision hardware support.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Re: serial port overrun

Try enabling hardware flow-control.

Check protocol settings match on both ends.

Use high-quality cables.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos