Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

4 Posts

June 6th, 2018 04:00

t7400 doubled ram and machine now runs slower

i started this adventure with 64 GB ram, and loaded on windows 7 64bit. has been working great for a while. three days ago i added riser card 3-4 and windows recognizes 128 GB...yea. but...now the machine while working more or less correctly, usage seems as if i gave the os way to much acreage to run, or possibly that loading stuff from the ssd now has to be brought in from the far reaches of the back 40... anything requested [i.e. videos to web explorers, even simple programs] seems to take at least ten to fifteen seconds to load whereas prior to the addition seemed much faster. the size of the programs did not change but the time period suggests something else. i tried to fish though windows help a bit to find some configuration suggestions for ram but nothing seems to fit. every suggestion to look at will be appreciated.

thank you

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

June 8th, 2018 01:00

Hi jjulianrichards,

There are specific memory population rules for the T7400 and using only one riser will lead to a mismatch:

To achieve full bandwidth operation, memory configurations should consist of sets of four identically matched DIMMs to allow Quad-Channel operation. The sets of DIMMs must be identical with respect to capacity, rank, and organization (x4 or x8). Speed and CAS latency don't necessarily need to match, but the slowest speed DIMM and highest CAS latency will set the operating mode of the system.

For eight slot configurations:

• A single DIMM will work in DIMM1 or DIMM3 slot. This will be a reduced performance mode. BIOS will stop with an "F1/F2" message indicating this is a debug only mode. This mode is for use by tech-support to test a customer's DIMMs individually in the case of a reported memory failure.
  • Configurations of two matched DIMMs are supported using DIMM1 and DIMM2 slots. This configuration provides half the memory bandwidth, but will be allowed to boot normally without any BIOS messages. This support is specifically to enable a low cost 1 GB (2 x 512MB) shipping configuration.
  • Configurations of four matched DIMMs must use DIMM1, DIMM2, DIMM3, and DIMM4 slots. These configurations allow full bandwidth.
  • Eight DIMM configurations use all eight DIMM slots and must consist of two matched sets of four DIMMs. These configurations have the same full bandwidth as four DIMM configurations.
  • Additional non-shipping (but valid) configurations can be made by installing matched pairs of DIMMs in slots DIMM1/DIMM2, DIMM1/DIMM3, DIMM3/DIMM4, DIMM1/DIMM2 & DIMM5/DIMM6 and DIMM3/DIMM4 & DIMM7/DIMM8. These will result in dual channel operation which is lower bandwidth that quad-channel. We do not ship these configs, but they are valid and no error message is displayed.
  • For thermal reasons, only DIMMs with a 'Full heat spreader' FLHS are supported. DIMMs with a heat sink only on the AMB will overheat and are not supported.

There's further information on page 179 here: 

http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dell_precision_workstation/precision-t7400_user%27s%20guide_en-us.pdf

I hope this helps.

June 10th, 2018 12:00

how can i tell if the machine is in test mode? the machine has been restarted some times now and run as it did prior to the ram addition. it just seems to react slower i guess, or almost as if the system board, processor and ram are outrunning the hard drive and i am noticing it just now for some reason.

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

June 11th, 2018 04:00

If the system was in any kind of test mode you would see an on screen notification. 

June 15th, 2018 10:00

well there is not any on screen indication so the problem lies elsewhere...yea. there are no other problems with the system that i notice in performance, only when i first pull something off the hd. i guess i will run pc check and see what that finds. thank you

No Events found!