JimiScott
1 Copper

7530 Fan Speed & Thermals - BROKEN

Dell Engineers, have you any thoughts about Fan Speed (constantly whirling) and actual thermals inside the 7530?

Below is a screenshot of the thermals of my laptop when it's doing almost nothing. The fans however, are spinning in 'medium' mode. If I jiggle with the Thermal Setting inside power manager I can sometimes get the fans to slow down, but not today! At the moment it's set to Optimised, but it I change it to Quiet, the fans actually spin up!

7530 Precision Temperature

It would seem the fan controls are extremely manually and only change upwards...getting them to spin down (when the computing is under zero load) seems to involve me fiddling around with the Thermal Settings.

I would dearly like Dell to investigate this!

12 Replies
SRSR333
1 Copper

Re: 7530 Fan Speed & Thermals - BROKEN

Have you checked your PCH temperature?

If it's skyrocketing without any I/O operations, then check your Advanced Power Settings, specifically, these:

If they are anything either than Maximum power savings, change them to that. This switches off unnecessary PCIe lanes that have no traffic, and keeps your PCH cool, too. 

0 Kudos
JimiScott
1 Copper

SRSR333, thanks for the reply. I already have max power savings enabled on the PCI Express. (Obviously this was the only temp I didn't include as a screenshot... 😞 ). I find that if I alter the setting in the Dell Thermal Management from whatever it's set to at that point to another setting the fan will spin down...so it's almost as if the fans get stuck. For example, this morning my fans were spinning hard, so I changed the setting from Quiet to Optimised. Yesterday I changed from Optimised to Quiet. Thanks
0 Kudos
sfortin
3 Argentium

What utility are you using to look at the temps, and where do you find it?

0 Kudos
Janaka_V
1 Copper

Hi,

Please see my post below. I had similar issues under different circumstances but it helps clarify what is normal and abnormal for this workstation. Hope it helps.

https://www.dell.com/community/Precision-Mobile-Workstations/DELL-Precision-7530-abnormal-thermals-a...

0 Kudos
Janaka_V
1 Copper

HWinfo was useful to me in keeping a log of core temperatures and fan speeds.

0 Kudos
JimiScott
1 Copper

All, I continue to have this problem, but it definitely less pronounced (perhaps an update has been made).

I do occasionally need to adjust the fan control if the fans get 'stuck'.

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
Tiroha
1 Copper

Hi

I bought this 7530 to replace my 3 year old Lenovo P50.

Right now this seems to be a very bad choice because I have this issue where fans are running at warp speed.

The noice generated by this laptop is crazy...To the extend where I consider retuning it and remain on my P50 or buy another Lenovo which is ultra silent.

Amazing that an expensive piece of hardware as this is SO horrible to work with. If I was working in a machine shop I would not be able to hear the machines wrking  only this jet engine trying to take off.

Luckily I'm only working with CAD (SOLIDWORKS) in a nice and quite office space - well, until introducing this State of the Art device......

Right now only thing active is this webpage - and fan is already more noicy than the P50 ever was during heavy workload.

Fix it...

highestz
1 Copper

All,

I dished out top $ for the 7530 with max bells and whistles coming from an Inspiron with horrible overheating and fan noise problems. I wanted a really quiet unit with which to record (my) acoustic music and was advised the Precision was it.  But here I am, 4 months into use, and the unit has become as noisy as the Inspiron ever was.  Not as hot, but just as noisy.   Logic would dictate that it is either 1. a problem with laptops in general; 2. a problem with laptops in general and Windows; or 3. a problem with Dells.  From other posts here it seems clearly to be 3.   Dell EMEA Technical Support even admitted this to me (verbally). Very frustrating.

TGPerry
1 Copper

Felt I should reply to document  that I have the same issues & frustrations.  If anyone finds a solution or hears from Dell please reply to this thread!

Tags (4)
0 Kudos