KenmathisHD
2 Bronze

Connecting an external GPU to my Dell Precision M6600

Howdy guys! I've got a M4500 workstation with dual i7's that I've had for a few years and I'm wanting to upgrade from the old quadro GPU that it uses. I know you can't swap it out for another card, but I've been looking around and was curious to see if y'all thought I might be able to use an external GPU by way of the MPCIE slot that the wireless board currently occupies? The adapter I'd be using to dock the card is similar to this (https://www.walmart.com/ip/PCI-E-V8-0-EXP-GDC-External-Laptop-Notebook-Video-Card-Laptop-Docking-Sta...). The laptop is I believe too old to have thunderbolt, and I'd really rather not create another bottleneck by trying to run the thing through USB "IF" that's even possible.

The card in question is a Zotac 970 GTX that was gifted to me by a friend who recently upgraded to a 1060. I've got the card to mess with and some power supplies laying around, and I figured if I can spend about $50-$75 on an adapter instead of $200-$300 on a basic rig and get some decent performance out of what I already have then I'll be a happy camper.

Let me know what y'all think!
~Ken

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
ejn63
7 Gold

Re: Connecting an external GPU to my Dell Precision M6600

There's no practical way to do this. Even if you're willing to leave the system in pieces (you won't be able to close up the case if you install the PCIe shim adapter), the external GPU -- IF it even works - will not feed the display panel, so you're going to need an external monitor anyway.

At that point, why even bother with the exercise - by the time you buy all the parts, you'd be better off buying new or used desktop system - - since that's what you'll end up with anyway.

0 Kudos