Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

6 Posts

April 22nd, 2019 18:00

Dell Precision 5530 - how to activate Nvidia Quadro P1000 instead of Intel card

Hi everyone I have just bought the precision 5530 Nvidia Quadro p1000 for editing Video on Premiere or aftereffect. However, the system always use GPU from intel Intergrate, I cant get use to the power of P1000. Please help me to activate the Nvidia Quadrp P1000 all the time. Thanks so much

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 22nd, 2019 21:00

The Precision 5530 uses NVIDIA Optimus for the discrete GPU.  This means that the NVIDIA GPU is not physically wired to any of the display outputs.  Actually, on the 5530 it MIGHT be wired to the HDMI output, but I haven't confirmed that.  But the way Optimus works is that the Intel GPU is physically wired to most or all display outputs, including the built-in display, and when the discrete GPU is needed, it gets activated as a render-only device that passes completed video frames to the Intel GPU for output those displays.  This allows the discrete GPU to be completely disabled when it's not needed in order to extend battery life, whereas if it were physically wired to display outputs, it would have to remain active whenever a display was attached to those outputs, even if nothing graphics-intensive was going on.

In general, the NVIDIA drivers are fairly good at detecting when to activate Optimus, but they're not perfect.  If you're finding that certain applications aren't using the discrete GPU, try right-clicking the application EXE file (or a shortcut to it) and selecting "Run with graphics processor > NVIDIA".  Unfortunately this does NOT work with Start menu items; it has to be the application file itself or a shortcut.  If that improves performance, you can create a profile for that application in NVIDIA Control Panel and configure that application to always use the NVIDIA GPU so that you don't have to do that each time you launch it.

6 Posts

April 22nd, 2019 23:00

Thanks so much @jphughan for your advice, I will try that again when at home and let you know. If it does not work, Its a waste to buy thí instead of Macbook Pro. The price nearly the same

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 23rd, 2019 04:00

Happy to help. If it doesn’t work though, before completely switching OS platforms, you might want to try contacting Adobe for guidance. Optimus is very commonly used across laptops these days, so it seems Adobe would almost have to support this architecture in their applications. Typically the only laptops now that have discrete GPUs wired to the built-in display and all outputs are high-end gaming systems and high-end workstations, and even some of THOSE use Optimus. The Precision 7000 models actually have a BIOS option that allows you to choose which GPU controls the outputs, but that’s only possible because those systems have a more complex motherboard design where each display output is connected to a DisplayPort multiplexer, and the multiplexer is connected to BOTH of the GPUs, then the BIOS option tells the multiplexers which GPU to actively use.

6 Posts

April 23rd, 2019 07:00

So sorry but no hope. The video still lag when play in adobe premiere

6 Posts

April 23rd, 2019 18:00

Dear @jphughan 

im not sure if Im right. I record video 4k from Osmo pocket DJI. Then I play this video in Adobe Premiere, and it lag. But then I use Adobe Media Encoding to create proxy that video then it play smoothtly. So the system of 5530 is not strong enougn to edit directly 4k Video. Is it right

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 23rd, 2019 19:00

I don’t know enough about video editing to answer for sure, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case. Real-time editing of 4K video would be much more intensive than rendering it, and certainly more intensive than playing back rendered 4K video.

3 Posts

September 7th, 2019 20:00

Dell Precision 5530 doesn't have optimus chip. https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln316106/precision-5530-discrete-gpu-does-not-function-as-main-video-controller?lang=en

All display are routed through intel UHD.

It is a horrible choice because even if you force the P1000 to render 4k video, the result must be copy back to the intel UHD graphic unit, resulting in totally unnecessary high cpu and intel gpu usage.

I'm frustrated that the company gave me this laptop.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 7th, 2019 21:00

Ziling, Optimus isn’t a chip. It’s the name of the technology that allows an NVIDIA GPU to render video and pass the result to an Intel GPU for output to displays. The fact that all outputs in this system are wired to the Intel GPU means that it MUST have Optimus. If all outputs were wired to the Intel GPU and there was no Optimus capability, then there would be no way to have the NVIDIA GPU render any content for display purposes. But the Intel GPU doesn’t have to experience high usage just to pass rendered video through to displays. The NVIDIA GPU already did the hard part. But even if that weren’t the case, Intel GPUs that are built into Intel Core 7th Gen CPUs have hardware acceleration for 4K H.265 video anyway.

3 Posts

September 8th, 2019 07:00

Yes, Optimus is not a chip. But in the link I posted, Dell themselves says, precision 55xx doesn't come with it. "If this is an option that you feel is required for your business needs, then you should look at the Precision 7XXX family of mobile workstations as they are the only ones that come with this option."

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 8th, 2019 09:00

@ziling  unfortunately that article is implying that NVIDIA Optimus and switchable graphics are the same thing, which they are not.  It's too bad that Dell is creating some confusion there.  Optimus as I described is the ability for the discrete GPU to operate as a render-only device and pass completed video frames to the Intel GPU for output to the actual display(s).  Basically every laptop that has multiple GPUs includes that functionality.  The switchable graphics feature in the Precision 7000 Series line that the article refers to is a BIOS option that allows the user to choose which GPU directly controls the display outputs.  That is a very unusual capability to have in a laptop.  To my knowledge, the Precision 7000 Series models are the only ones in Dell's entire lineup that have this.  The way it's achieved on the Precision 7000 Series models is that the built-in display and all of the display outputs are wired to DisplayPort multiplexers.  Those multiplexers are then wired back to BOTH the integrated and discrete GPUs, and then the BIOS options allow you to configure which "path" is actually active.

However, the ability to have the discrete GPU directly control the display outputs is also a relatively uncommon need.  For most use cases, NVIDIA Optimus works just fine, and it SHOULD be working here.  That said, there are some applications that don't work well with it.  There are also certain technologies that the Intel GPU doesn't support passing through and/or where the discrete GPU must have direct control of the output, such as VR, stereoscopic 3D, Adaptive V-Sync, G-Sync, and 5K resolution (as of this writing).

No Events found!