S

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

June 5th, 2023 06:00

Dell Precision 7530 Laptop Display black after POST

I have a Precision 7530 i7-8850H with the latest BIOS version 1.27.0

It has the NVIDIA Quadro P3200 in addition to the Intel UHD 630

I use an LG Ultrawide (via the HDMI port) as my primary display and a Dell P2422HE monitor (via USB) as a third.  I don't often use the laptop integrated display so I don't have specific timing but found recently that if I disconnect my external monitors I will only get output on the laptop display during POST.  When the Dell monitor is connect, POST is transferred there.  At all other times the laptop display is black and I cannot seem to sort out what setting may have changed to cause this.

I saw one post about disabling switchable graphics in the BIOS and have tried that but it didn't fix it.

I have reloaded graphics drivers and that didn't fix it either.

I have used Dell's Support Assist update utility and Windows Update and Intel's driver update utilities to make sure everything is up to date, but nothing seems to be missing or out of date.

I'm at a bit of a loss and was hoping that someone may have a solution.

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

June 5th, 2023 08:00

Did you try Fn + F8 ?

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

June 5th, 2023 09:00

I was briefly able to rectify the situation.  

I performed a factory reset on the BIOS and after the reboot everything came up fine..... Until I closed the laptop.  Now I am back to where I was.  So odd.

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

June 5th, 2023 09:00

Yes, I should have mentioned that.

Also, when I go to Windows display settings and click Detect it doesn't find the laptop display

sharkbait17_0-1685980843727.png

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

June 5th, 2023 10:00

And the solution is....

Be wary of magnets near the hall effect sensor in the base near the palm rest.  doh!  sigh

No Events found!