64dude
2 Iron

Dell Precision 7540/7740 and Dell Docking Stations

Jump to solution

Has anyone gotten a duel TB port docking station to work with the Precision 7540 or 7740? Like the predecessors 7530/7730 which did work with the TB18DC docking station through duel Thunderbolt-C ports, the 7740 includes these same ports, but I found appears to NOT work with the TB18DC docking station, but DOES work with the single ported TB16. I've tried w/ both and w/ single power  to only TB18Dc, and with power to both laptop and TB18DC, but no luck. When I plug in the TB18DC it powers up for a split second like the working TB16. 

I guest my first question is is the TB18DC compatible w/ the 7540/7740 as the docs for the dockstation indicated only for 7530/7730. Looking at other Dell docking stations there seems to be no duel ported docking station available from Dell for the 7540/7740 as the WD19 is single ported. 

Thoughts?

Thanks, 64dude

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
OmniBoris
1 Copper

Re: Dell Precision 7540/7740 and Dell Docking Stations

Jump to solution

The appropriate/compatible dock for 7740 is WD19DC.  It is double-ported.

I have a 7740 and that dock, and they work well together*

* but see my next upcoming topic in this forum...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
64dude
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Hi OmniBoris, much appreciated. ? The TB16 does, albeit single port. The specs of WD19DC doesn't indicate duel port (both Dell support and I looked at specs), but the pic of WD19DC from link you sent shows the duel cable. That clears up the non-compatible dock question for the 7740. First part of my question remains is will the TB18DC work - which I own. Anyone else have thought on TB18DC w/ 7540/7740?

Thanks again, 64dude

0 Kudos
3 Replies
OmniBoris
1 Copper

Jump to solution

The appropriate/compatible dock for 7740 is WD19DC.  It is double-ported.

I have a 7740 and that dock, and they work well together*

* but see my next upcoming topic in this forum...

0 Kudos
64dude
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Hi OmniBoris, much appreciated. ? The TB16 does, albeit single port. The specs of WD19DC doesn't indicate duel port (both Dell support and I looked at specs), but the pic of WD19DC from link you sent shows the duel cable. That clears up the non-compatible dock question for the 7740. First part of my question remains is will the TB18DC work - which I own. Anyone else have thought on TB18DC w/ 7540/7740?

Thanks again, 64dude

0 Kudos
JoshSST
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Wow, this is awesome. I am currently engaged in a nightmare of a system exchange with Dell over a bad 7530 and they are saying they cannot find a replacement system. One of their salespeople indicated it is possible they would upgrade me if they were unable to find a suitable solution. This whole mess started at the beginning of November. Anyway, my point and how it is relevant to this thread is even if I get upgraded I will have to buy a new docking station presumably from Dell to have it be compatible. That feels like more of a move out of Apple's playbook but why not sell a new docking station with every new 7540 if you can, or better yet all the companies that purchased these in bulk will trade their docking stations back in for a newer model with their laptops then we can resell those as open-box/refurbished. 

I can't argue with the logic. It just <Profanity removed> being a Dell customer in these types of situations.  

0 Kudos