Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 30th, 2019 15:00

Dell Precision 7540 and WD19DC Network issues

We have purchased 6 7540's and 6 WD19DC docking stations and everyone of them has issues where the network will intermittently stop working. A restart will get it working again but that is not always easy to do when the users are in the middle of working on something. Has anyone else ran into this issue and if you have what did you do to resolve it?

Thanks! 

2 Posts

October 1st, 2019 03:00

I'm having the same (intermittent) problem on a recently purchased 7540. Disconnecting and reconnecting the docking station helps, but it's a bit unpleasant to do.

UPDATE: I now got into a situation where restart was indeed needed.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

October 8th, 2019 05:00

Hi all, Dell engineering are currently investigating the issues the community have brought to our attention regarding both USB and network dropouts whilst using the WD19 docks.

As soon as I have an update on the issues I will be in contact.

Alan

4 Posts

November 12th, 2019 12:00

Any updates on this? I am still battling dock issues with these left and right. I have one dock that the network port doesn't work at all now and I am not sure what to do at this point. 

November 12th, 2019 13:00

I have the same problem with 7740 and the WD19DC.  I have also seen problems where the computer didn't recognize that it was getting enough wattage from the dock, and only one of the two lights on the connectors are illuminated.

Unplugging and re-plugging in doesn't always fix the issue. Sometimes it requires power-cycling.

All drivers and firmware are up-to-date.

2 Posts

November 13th, 2019 05:00

The only thing I found that resolved the one light issue for me was flipping the connector over. That may be a coincidence but that has worked twice for me.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

November 13th, 2019 06:00

@AGTimH engineering are still investigating this issue.

The issue you have described sounds different to that in the thread. When you say you have no network connection - are you getting any lights at all on the network port on the docking station?

Have you tried the dock on another network?
Have you tried another network cable?
Have you tried connecting the dock to another system?
Are you running the latest firmware and network drivers?
Were the drivers installed in the correct order?
Has the network port ever worked on the system?

I'll drop you a private message to get the service tag details.

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

November 13th, 2019 06:00

@mborgwardt that also sounds like a different issue from the main one in the thread.

The wattage error sounds like it could be a cable error. Depending on the model of Precision used, you do need the more powerful ac adaptor connected and also the laptop ac connected for optimum performance

What model of Precision were you connecting the dock to?

How often has this error message appeared?

A single network light advises that a link is established but no data is being transferred. Did you try a different network and network cable?

I'll drop you a private message for your docking station tag details

Alan

4 Posts

November 13th, 2019 07:00

I have two docks that seem to be working fine but I have one that consistently gets the insufficient power message at boot up every time. The only thing that fixes this temporarily is to shut everything down and disconnect the dock from the computer and push the power button for 30 seconds to discharge all power from the dock then it will be fine for a few days. 

The dock with the network issues just refuses to work. I have tried all the solutions you listed and I have been able to get it to work briefly a couple of times but then it drops out again and quits working. Windows just sees it as the cable being unplugged but the entire time the lights are both on for the network port on the dock. I currently have it working again but we will see for how long. The workaround I use currently when it drops out is to plug the Ethernet cable directly into the laptop instead of the docking station.  

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

November 14th, 2019 06:00

@AGTimH is the docking station with the network problem the same one that is giving the insufficient power error message?

As per my last message can you help with these troubleshooting steps please

Have you tried the dock on another network?
Have you tried another network cable?
Have you tried connecting the dock to another system?
Are you running the latest firmware and network drivers?
Were the drivers installed in the correct order?
Has the network port ever worked on the system?

Alan

1 Message

November 14th, 2019 07:00

I'm experiencing all the same issues with a brand new Precision 7740 w/WD19DC docking station. I even tried a second dock, no change.

The network issue appears to be related to the Realtek USB Ethernet Controller. At least for me anyways. It crashes and the network stays unavailable until after a power cycle. I've tried the newest drivers from Realtek (10.34) but that didn't fix my issue...

November 14th, 2019 07:00

I believe you misread a number of details in my post. To repeat, the model is a Precision 7740. It wasn't a single network light I was referring to but the dual USB C connector.

At this time, I haven't seen the one light vs two issue in the last few days, but one user consistently has issues with the wired network not working. We have tried multiple docks on his 7740 but he still has the same network issue. Sometimes undocking and redocking will fix it, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes power-cycling the dock will fix it, sometimes it doesn't. I have seen the same problem on at least one other 7740.

The WD19DC comes with a 240W adapter. To my knowledge it doesn't come with a different, small sized adapter. Obviously the wattage error was due to only one of the lights on the dual USB C connector being lit.

I checked for firmware updates for the dock and there are only two driver updates (network & audio). I installed both drivers but it didn't help the network issue.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

November 15th, 2019 02:00

@mborgwardt apologies for the oversight. I mixed up the docking stations, previous TB docks required both ac adaptors to be connected for maximum performance on Precisions, however this has been addressed by the dual power connector on the WD19DC.

Re one user with network problems - that's the issue that is currently being investigated by engineering. Those troubleshooting steps are consistent with what others have tried. 

I'm still concerned about the power cable issue. I'm tempted to send out a replacement cable to see if that resolves the power cable issues. Would you be willing to try that?

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

November 15th, 2019 02:00

@JJonesCGS thanks, It's my understanding also that the network driver is the cause of this issue. Although some customers have also been experiencing issue with USB dropout also. There could be more to it than just the network driver.  Engineering are currently investigating the issue.

As soon as I know anymore information I will post it on here.

Alan

1 Message

November 22nd, 2019 05:00

Might as well feed the fire and maybe we can get these problems resolved!

We (at work) have several 7740 all using WD19DC docks.  All of the docks have dual Dell U3219Q monitors attached as well as wired ethernet.  We continuously have the same 3 problems with the docks

1. The docks start up with only one side of the dual usb-c connectors powered.  This causes boot up errors or if laptop is already booted and dock is applied, the laptop battery dies in a couple of hours due to lack of wattage.  We can usually rectify the issue with the power by unplugging and re-plugging the 220W power supply to the dock.

2. Often when we cycle the power to the dock, this results in the ethernet not port not being detected.  Our solution is to keep cycling the power to the dock until everything is working.

3. Like above, we have issues with the monitors connected to the dock.  We will often experience them blanking or have images start rolling horizontally.  our solution... cycling the power to dock until everything works...

Anyhow, hopefully this helps find a solution

No Events found!