1 Copper

Dell Precision 7710 BIOS update v1.15.4

Hi!

I have a Dell Precision 7710 Workstation with nVidia graphics Quadro M5000M, 64 G RAM, Intel Xeon E3-1545 v5…

Yesterday I’ve updated to the latest BIOS, v 1.15.4 and right after restart the screen was blank. No Dell logo, and although the system is booting into Windows 10, I still see no image on the screen.

What happens is like this:

I push the start button, the screen is black, not lighted, I see the hard drive led blinking the way it does when the operating system is loading, and about the time that the logon screen appears, the screen backlights turn on and the image is black and I cannot see anything.

I connected an external monitor on HDMI and the image appeared on the monitor with the desktop image turned green on the lower half (have no Idea why). The taskbar was visible. So, I restarted the laptop and pressed F2 in order to enter BIOS settings, and it enters. I restored the default setting, and restarted, entered again in BIOS and made the settings (especially tha SATA mode to be in AHCI in order to boot the operating system, and disabled switchable graphics – the way I keep it). Restarted again and it entered the OS. At this point I thought I resolved the problem (thinking that all it needed was to restore the default settings)

Today, I opened the laptop for work, and surprise, the problem was the same again. Shut off screen, and after logon black screen with no image.

After several restarts i entered Windows and downgraded to the previous BIOS version 1.14.4. It gave me an error as it failed to update the Intel Management Engine, but after restart the laptop started, and now I run it on the 1.14.4 version of BIOS and with the Intel Management Engine updated from the latest BIOS version.

Did you received another feedback about this bug, or is just my system that does this problem?

How can I still update the latest BIOS version without having this problem again because it’s time consuming for me and I really need to work on this laptop.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
1 Copper

Re: Dell Precision 7710 BIOS update v1.15.4

I have same problem on Dell Precision 7710 BIOS update v1.15.4. After updating I have black screen on boot, after enter in win 10 it show 2 display connect? I don't know what to do because I cannot enter bios (black screen). I have disabled intel graphic card in BIOS. Tray connect hdmi monitor not work. Tray press F2 not work.

0 Kudos
1 Copper

Then definitely this is a bug.

0 Kudos
1 Copper

After try out and try out... I get in bios and enable two graphic card and everything works

0 Kudos