Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 24th, 2018 17:00

Different fingerprint sensors on M4700

Hi there.

I got two Precision M4700 laptops in different configuration. They have different fingerprint sensors, I attached photos bottom.

Can someone tell me, which one of them is better in use and why? Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

January 25th, 2018 04:00

The top one is a FIPS (Federal Information Processing Standard) certified reader and the lower one is a standard swipe reader. As to which one actually performs best, I'm afraid I couldn't really say. 

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

January 26th, 2018 01:00

No problem. Hardware wise, there's nothing to stop you swapping the readers over (or even the entire palm-rest, whichever you think would be easiest) but if you are going to do so, make sure that any previously enrolled scans are completely removed from both systems. I would also uninstall the software on both systems prior to making the hardware changes then reinstalling once done.

January 25th, 2018 17:00

Thank you, it helps me!

As I said before, I have two M4700 laptops. They are little different in configuration. One of them has FIPS certified reader, but another one, my favorite laptop, has standard swipe reader. Can I swap them (with cables) for getting FIPS reader in my favorite laptop? Will they work correctly, or it depends on the motherboard?

January 26th, 2018 13:00

Thanks! This will help me.

No Events found!