Highlighted
1 Copper

High load + heating up + fan noise after S3 suspend and resume on Linux

I have a Dell Precision 7540 Workstation. After Suspend and Resume the process "irq/51-DELL0926" causes a constant load with 5-15%. This isn't much, but it prevents the cpu to switch into a lower clockrate. So all 16 cores run at ~4500 MHz all the time which then causes the notebook to heat up which then causes the fans to make noise. On the original Ubuntu kernel 4.15 this problem goes away after a minute or so. On other kernels (I'm using 5.3.14 at the moment) this stays forever until reboot. So I googled what this process does, discovered it controlles the touchpad and found a simple but reliable workaround: After the notebook wakes up from suspend I have to click the touchpad and then the process calms down. This way I now have a quiet notebook again. I'm interested if others have discovered this problem, too?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: High load + heating up + fan noise after S3 suspend and resume on Linux

Hi, I have Precision 7530 and experience the same issue. The only difference is that the misbehaving irq is irq/51-DELL0831 on my system.

Thanks for the workaround! I don't use the touchpad at all so I would have a hard time figuring this one out.

0 Kudos