1 Copper

How do i tell if a charger is counterfeit or genuine?

I bought a used Precision M4800 off a family member but he lost the charger years ago and i saw one one bay that looked real and was listed as genuine 180 watt. it weighs a ton but my older vostro 1510 claims it is only 130 watt the seller listed t as 180 watt but the model number says it should be 240 watt. im not very familiar with dell charger anymore the newest one i had before this was a real dell 90w from like 13 years ago and the label is totally different. i have done some research and every picture i see looks identical to this one with a few exceptions. the part number is FWCRC and the REF is ADP-240AB D, and the model is GA240PE1-00. i really dont know how to tell if it is real or not and the 120 dollar on from dell is way out of my budget and it looks exactly like this one.

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: How do i tell if a charger is counterfeit or genuine?

Hi philhalo66,

There's no real way of being sure if you don't know where it was sourced from. The part number, FWCRC, is a Dell part and looks like this:

ViewPic[5].jpg

I hope this helps.

DELL-Alasdair R
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 10am-5pm GMT (BST)
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
7 Gold

Re: How do i tell if a charger is counterfeit or genuine?

You can find an OEM adapter for less than the $120 Dell wants - but anything more than 20-30% less than that will almost certainly be a third party unit.

https://www.serversupply.com/POWER%20SUPPLY/AC%20ADAPTER/240%20WATT/DELL/6RTJT.htm

0 Kudos