Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

2 Posts

November 10th, 2020 22:00

Laptop "Soft" Shuts Down Randomly

The Problem:

My laptop started to "Soft" shut down randomly when NOT in safe mode starting in Mid-October.  I am not able to stop or abort the shut down process.  When in Safe Mode w/ Networking, it does not experience this issue (I posted this discussion from safe mode).  It definitely seems that when the computer is doing something more intensive it is more likely to start shutting down at that very moment.  Once I start to get the shut downs, it occurs much more often and it can start to occur even on the login screen before I log into Windows 10.  My friend suspects this is a Software, not hardware issue because it does not kill the power immediately or BSOD, and does not occur in safe mode.

Note: Although it would be considered a "Soft" shut down, it does shut off rather quickly...I would say always in under 15 seconds from when the Shut down screen is first displayed to me.  When this happened with Discord open, not only could I not open it again after restart due to file corruption, but I was not able to reinstall Discord either.  I had to use a separate uninstaller program to remove the files before I could reinstall Discord.  When I tried to uninstall Discord from Control Panel --> Add/Remove Programs, it said it could not uninstall because it does not exist on the computer.  My point is that the "Soft" Shut Down I am experiencing is aggressive and kills all open applications fast.  It does not display that "Not Responding" screen I am used to when telling the laptop to shut down.

The Full Story:

1. Back in Mid-October, my laptop started to randomly enter the shut down screen while I was working.  I think this is being caused by either a Dell, Intel, or Windows update, because I never had this problem in the past.  This started to occur after both a Windows update and an Intel drivers update (both were updated on the same day).
  2. At first I thought to make sure I had all the latest windows updates.  I did.
  3. I then checked all the drivers I could find.  Everything was up to date that I could see.
  4. I then performed a system recovery by holding the power button when the Dell startup logo comes up 2 times, then a menu appeared to do this.
  5. I found that after performing system recovery, I was able to use the computer for up to 1 to 3 days before the random shut downs started to occur again.
  6. In order to fix this issue once and for all, I decided to back up all my files on a network drive (I have 2 computers), and perform a clean reinstall of the Windows 10 operating system.  I accessed this feature by holding the power button 2x during boot again the same way I did for getting to system recovery.
  7. After reinstalling windows, I started to add some of my old programs and files again thinking all was well.  Everything worked fine until I tried to Download a game on Steam with Discord open as well.  Then i got the dreaded "Soft" Shut Down screen again.  Then a few objects took flight...
  8.  I decided to give safe mode a shot again.  I ran that same download in Steam inside Safe mode, and was able to finish the download overnight without any shutdowns.  It has now been over 30 hours in Safe Mode without any "Soft" shut down as I type this message.
  9. I have not tried this yet, but I got my windows product key and have also received a Windows 10 installer from my friend to try clean reinstalling that way instead of from the on-computer menu.  Please let me know if you think I should try this.  I have to start over either way right now.

Please Help

Please offer any suggestions that you think I should try to fix this.  Sorry for being long winded...I just wanted to make sure you have all the details to help me get through this.

My Computer Specs from Belarc Advisor Program:

Laptop Model: Precision 7510 (Workstation Laptop)

Windows Version: Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 1903 (build 18362.1139)

Processor: 2.90 gigahertz Intel Xeon E3-1535M v5

Memory Modules: 65426 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Hard Drive: PC300 NVMe SK hynix 1TB [Hard drive] (1024.20 GB)

Controllers: Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller

Display 1: Intel(R) HD Graphics P530 [Display adapter]

Display 2: NVIDIA Quadro M2000M [Display adapter]

Multimedia 1: Intel(R) Display Audio

Multimedia 2: Realtek Audio

Antivirus 1: Bitdefender Antivirus (Paid Subscription)

Antivirus 2: I also use Malwarebytes free version

Communications 1: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260

Communications 2: Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-LM

Communications 3: TAP-Windows Adapter V9

Other Devices:

Microsoft AC Adapter
Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)
Integrated Webcam
Dell ControlVault w/ Fingerprint Touch Sensor
Airplane Mode Switch Collection
Dell Radio Control Device
HID-compliant device
HID-compliant touch screen
HID-compliant vendor-defined device (2x)
Standard PS/2 Keyboard
Dell Touchpad [Mouse]
USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse
Realtek PCIE CardReader
NFC Proximity Provider
Trusted Platform Module 1.2
Microsoft Usbccid Smartcard Reader (WUDF) (2x)

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

November 11th, 2020 02:00

Several possible reasons -Your computer is triggering a shutdown to protect from thermal damage. Cleaning it is good, but your fan may not be working adequately to cool your processor because it is failing.Check the air vents of your computer not just the fan just in case, Your hard drive is overheating or failing. Check the Event logs to see what they say. If you have a long list of hard drive errors, you may have a failing hard drive. Also, the heat sink flux that connects your cpu and processors to your cooling devices may have dried up/worn off if your computer is old. Also, your computer may not be up to what you are asking it to do, and the continual over processing is causing it to overheat and trigger a thermal shut down. Take it to a tech to have diagnostics done or consider upgrading.

November 11th, 2020 08:00

Thank you for the reply.  In my discussion above, I explained that the computer is going through a shut down process where it tells me it is shutting down.  I am under the impression that this is NOT a thermal issue because if it was, I would not be given a warning and the computer would shut off immediately, as if the power from the battery was lost.  That is not what is happening.  I had HW Monitor displaying the CPU temps at one time when the computer entered the shut down process on me during a download, and the CPU temps at the time of the shutdown were all under 60 Celsius.  

I would LOVE to read event viewer to help figure this out, but I really don't understand all the Error messages.  Any helpful links on how to read event viewer would be greatly appreciated.

I am updating all my drivers in safe mode after reformatting windows 10.  I am now realizing that windows 10 did not get the latest video card drivers after reinstall, as an example.

November 14th, 2020 12:00

1 Message

December 19th, 2020 03:00

Is there any solution to this? Having the same issue on the same laptop model. Even the timing fits perfectly. Definitely a software issue. Tried the usual cleanups and cooling pads – all useless.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

December 19th, 2020 04:00

Mine is doing the same thing, I bought mine through my college and I am going to take it to them to get it check. A machine with this much power shouln't be doing that.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 19th, 2020 05:00

these models will quickly shut down if the cpu overheats

use intel tool to watch whats going on

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/intel-power-gadget.html

https://software.intel.com/content/dam/develop/external/us/en/documents/IntelPowerGadget_3.5.9.msi

Tell Dell that you have Bios error code  #M1004

Look in F2 Bios logs for Motherboard thermal shutdown errors.

July 3rd, 2021 04:00

I had the same problem and figured out what was causing it,

It was a windows feature update package. Uninstalled it and everything became normal.

2 Posts

July 23rd, 2021 11:00

Hello, could you tell me the exact name of that package? Did you uninstall it from the Windows settings app? Thanks. (I'm having the same "soft shutdown" issue described in the OP, on a Precision 7710.)

2 Posts

July 23rd, 2021 14:00

Update: I've downgraded the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework driver to version 8.2.10900.330, from 2016. This has seemingly fixed the shutdown problem. However, while playing a game, the CPU throttles heavily, after a while. I'll probably repaste the heatsink next (because it can't hurt) but I'm not yet convinced that there isn't some driver/software issue too.

7 Posts

October 8th, 2021 10:00

Precision 7510 Owner's Thread | Page 185 | NotebookReview

Information here on where to get the older driver.

2 Posts

February 15th, 2022 06:00

It solved my problem. Thanks a lot!

2 Posts

February 22nd, 2022 05:00

Hi there,

My solution to resolve this case step by step below:

Step 1 : Try to keep your computer working temporary by decreasing the processor power :

- On "Type here to search" , type " Edit power pland" --> " Change advance power plan settings", in " Processor power management" ---> "Maximum processor state" , Set On battery " 80%"; Plugged in " 80%".

Click on Advance Power Plan settingsClick on Advance Power Plan settingsset Maximum processor state at 80%set Maximum processor state at 80%

Step 2 : Remove the current "Intel Dynamic thermal management" driver :

Right click on  Computer icon in your desktop, choose " Manager", then click to device manager. In the right window, click on " system device" , then uninstall all things that have " Intel Dynamic Thermal xxxx".

Uninstall and delete driver all things have Uninstall and delete driver all things have " Intel Dynamic Thermal..... " on their namesTobe sure that you remove ALL things have Tobe sure that you remove ALL things have " Intel Dynamic Thermal..."

Step 3 : The replacement for that you remove above is older version that work well here :

https://dl.dell.com/FOLDER03757117M/6/Chipset_Driver_NWWR5_WN32_8.2.10900.330_A03_03.EXE

Download and install it.

Step 4 : Let the Windows update don't change your driver : Turn off driver update by Windows update .

- Open Group Policy : Try " Window + R" and type in Run gpedit.msc then "Enter".

dell 3.png

In Group Editor window, follow the direction : Local Computer Policy → Computer Configuration → Administrative Templates → Windows Components → Windows Update.

dell 4.png

Find the line " Do not include drivers with Windows Update" then double-click on it, then you choose " Enable" , apply and click " OK".

dell 5.png

Step 5 : All things are done, reset your laptop then change the power plan settings to normal ( with 100% processor state). You should try to do stress test to sure the problem is solved.

dell 6.png

**** Note *** : After do that thing, If you updated your operating system to the new Windows version (such as " Win 10 pro 20H2"), should you try those steps again to keep your Dell Precision dont randomly shutdown again.

P/S : I wrote that things in hopping that help people and practice my English .

Hope that Dell will fix that driver problem soon.

14 Posts

May 4th, 2022 07:00

This is the solution.

July 7th, 2022 03:00

Have you found a solution my friend, I'm suffering with this issue for months now

July 7th, 2022 03:00

I have the same exact problem with same model, any solutions?

No Events found!