Highlighted
1 Copper

M4800 DISK IO became very slow after BIOS updated from A19 to A23

I recently upgrade BIOS on my M4800 from A19 to A23. After that DISK IO is noticeably slower. I am running Windows 7 enterprise 64 from an Samsung 860 evo mSata SSD. I have also an 1 TB 2.5 regular HDD, and a 2.5 inch Crucial MX500 500G SSD in the CD ROM slot. Before the upgrade, the speed of copying big files before the tow SSDs are faster than 200M/sec. After the upgrade, the speed of copying the same file is down to 50-70M/sec. I run a virtual machine from the Crucial SSD on a daily basis. The IO has really affect the performance of the VM. I finally decided to downgrade the BIOS back to A19. Now the speed is back to normal again. Nothing else is changed, so it has to be the BIOS. 

What I can do to upgrade the BOIS and maintain the disk IO speed?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: M4800 DISK IO became very slow after BIOS updated from A

I was considering the update to A23 as well which was largely developed to thwart the Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities of the Intel processors.  Articles have said the modified microcode would cause somewhat of a negative performance impact but I'm not sure if that is what you've encountered or not after reading that other post on here about disabling Intel Speed Step Technology in bios to correct performance problems:  https://www.dell.com/support/article/bz/en/bzbsdt1/sln291543/slow-performance-on-the-precision-m4800...

Perhaps you could try that and let us know if it fixed some of the speed issues you were encountering should you go ahead and reinstall bios A23...   I'm hoping to find out how bad the impact actually is from A23 on a M4800 before I make the leap...

0 Kudos
1 Copper

Also you may find this article informative which compares the specific I/O computing areas impacted by the microcode changes in the updated bios fix required for the meltdown/spectre fiasco:

https://www.networkworld.com/article/3266366/data-center/patches-for-meltdown-and-spectre-arent-that...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Thorium

For more accurate troubleshooting and identification of the problem, I suggest you:

On A19
- Write down or take-pics of best BIOS settings
- Test each drive with Crystal DiskMark
- Document results

On A23
- Verify best BIOS settings
- Test each drive with Crystal DiskMark
- Document results

I think, testing with just Windows Explorer ... might lead to some inaccurate results.

Also, since you are still running old Windows-7 64bit, it is not SSD aware. You will have to make all SSD optimizations to the OS manually.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

My guess would be: The fix for the Intel Spectre processor bugs. Intel created new microcode with fixes and Dell added these to the M4800 BIOS. The Spectre fixes also require OS support and there is the problem. For Windows 7 and Windows 8, Microsoft created low-performance fixes, and only for Windows 10 there is a high-performance fix available.

Please test disabling the Spectre protectin using this tool: GRC Inspectre
https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

You may need to run this tool under Windows XP compatibility. Reboot after you disabled spectre protection and test your disk access. If this fixed it for you, consider keeping the spectre protection disabled. Of course, you are not protected from the spectre bug this way, but for a single-user system the risk is minimal.

0 Kudos