Start a Conversation

Unsolved

August 10th, 2023 23:24

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

February 16th, 2018 02:00

Hi Radar1134,

If you've returned the system to it's previous state and it's still having issues it looks like either something has been blown or possibly a pin on one of the connectors is bent.

The musical beeps followed by the 3-2-1 code means that ePSA is running and has failed (it's just that you can't see it on the LCD)

3-2-1 beeps represents a 2000-0321 error code which is listed as an LCD detection error. Did you try starting the system with the original GPU, the LCD disconnected and an external display attached?

2 Posts

February 16th, 2018 20:00

Well let me ask you this: This isn't my first rodeo by a long shot with changing components in devices so what, in your opinion, could have fried or blown?  I ensured that I was ESD free when doing this. 3 kids leave me with limited time to mess with this thing... so I want to through as many options when I have free time.

Thanks

2 Posts

February 18th, 2018 16:00

Had time to tinker today...

Got her to POST with only the iGPU but was unstable.  Random turn offs.  I decided for giggles to re-seat the CPU, which was never removed, and then reboot.  EPSA passed everything that was present for testing.  I placed the Quadro 3000M back in temporarily and it still posted.  I placed the 7970M back in and it would never POST or illuminate the screen.  I could however hear a click from the GPU when the power button was pressed ( sounded like a small relay).  

I cleaned up the Quadro 3000M and put her back in and she's running fine.  Not sure what changed / killed the machine with the 7970m in there.  Would the A16 bios accept that chip or is it just straight faulty?  Anyway of telling?

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

February 19th, 2018 02:00

Glad to hear you got back up and running!

We can't really be sure what caused the issue, whether the 7970m is faulty or if it's a compatibility issue. The 7970m was never validated by Dell for the M6600 so, despite people having reported successfully adding this card, we can't be certain that it would work. Updating the BIOS to A16 might make a difference, but I can't say with any certainty I'm afraid.

6 Posts

July 1st, 2019 00:00

I realize this post is more than a year old and that sending a reply now is likely silly. That said, I recently encountered similar "sounding" problems with my M6600 after some hardware/firmware/software changes (though not the GPU OR CPU). After months of fooling around with it and several exchanges in community forums and with Dell, we finally determined that the 180 watt power supply was the culprit. The M6600 shipped with an OEM 240 watt power supply (I discovered this because I still had my old one from 2011, which I never discarded after it failed). Dell is/was incorrectly matching M6600s with the 180 watt PS on their parts replacement page. The OEM 240 watt power supply is still available new from Dell here:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-240-watt-ac-adapter-with-6-ft-power-cord/apd/450-agcx/pc-accessories

But for some reason their compatibility chart doesn't include the M6600, which it should. It's true that the 180 watt PS works for your M4000 series, but it's under-powered for the M6600. After I installed a new OEM Dell battery and the new 240 watt PS, my problems went away. Just a thought.

No Events found!