Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 29th, 2018 03:00

ME Firmware Update Failed: Image Loading

Hello,

I was wondering if the Dell is aware of the above error that happens during BIOS installation. The error affects Precision 5510 when upgrading to 1.6.1 System BIOS. I suppose the BIOS update goes fine except that error.

ME Firmware Update Failed: Image Loading

The full error can be seen in the YouTube screencast I shot here.

Regards,

Sudhir Khanger.

May 3rd, 2023 08:00

Hi,

I fixed it with a Dell OptiPlex 3240 AIO

• Downgrade to BIOS 1.6.3 -- Now HECI is enabled and visible in Device Management
  • Apply Dell Intel Management Engine Firmware Update Utility -- Now (A7) Me Downgrade - Request MeSpiLock Failed is removed
  • Upgrade to BIOS 1.16.0 -- IME FW update works.

I downloaded 3 firmware updater Corp_H , Copr_LP and Cons_H, only Cons_H was compatible  with this model.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=ng4x1

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

May 2nd, 2018 08:00

Hi sudhirkhanger,

I tried updating the BIOS on a 5510 that we have and did not encounter the issue seen in your video. Were all the chipset drivers on your system up to date when you tried the BIOS update? Is the Intel Management Engine provisioned?

Thanks

May 3rd, 2018 00:00

Hi DELL-Alasdair R,

All drivers and Windows seems to be up to date except Intel(R) Management Engine Interface which has the following errors.bsyQWt3k.jpg

As suggested on several websites I have tried updating, reinstalling, etc. to fix the driver issue but none has helped.

I don't know what you mean by if Intel Management Engine provisioned.

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

May 3rd, 2018 07:00

Thanks for the further details. Provisioned just means that it is enabled and in use. 

Is it only since the BIOS update that you noticed the driver error, or did you see it before the update? Can you try restoring the system to a previous date to see if that helps?

May 3rd, 2018 20:00

I don't really use Windows. I specifically bought this expensive system because it comes with Linux pre-installed. Unfortunately, I found out that even though Dell sells Linux laptops they do train their staff in Linux. I keep Windows installed only to get service from Dell.

This is a new install of Windows and there is no restore point to go back to. It was never really used. I do want to keep my BIOS updated and that's when the error came to my notice.

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

May 4th, 2018 06:00

If you go back to Ubuntu, do you still get an error? If so, that would indicate a hardware issue with the motherboard

May 5th, 2018 00:00

On Linux, drivers are not supplied like Windows and there's no Device Manager. They are part of the Linux Kernel/System. I haven't noticed any failure. And I am not sure what Intel ME does and what possible error it may generate. The system seems to work fine.

I am mostly worried that Dell's crucial BIOS update fails. I am making sure that the Dell is aware of the bug.

That being said. This system's sound fails every couple of months. I call Dell and they replace the Motherboard. The Motherboard has been replaced twice in a year.

37 Posts

May 8th, 2018 02:00

Hi Sudhir,

Would you please be able to check the current version of Intel Management Engine on your Windows installation? When you run the BIOS update in a Windows environment it will tell you some extra information before the update process begins it should tell you the current ME version and the target ME version, could you drop us a screenshot with the information please?

The next step may be to try the BIOS recovery option on your system and see if that resolves this issue for you, instructions on how to do this here: https://dell.to/2uAiHha

Thanks,

Mick.

May 23rd, 2018 04:00

Here's the requested information.

https://imgur.com/a/ar0L0Wf

Is BIOS recovery safe? I don't want to ruin my system or the OS as it is my daily driver and I need to use it for work. I will read the FAQs.

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

May 23rd, 2018 06:00

Hi Sudhir,

There's actually a newer BIOS release now available: 

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=5NVJX

I would suggest trying to install that too.

Let us know how you get on.

May 23rd, 2018 08:00

Thanks. I have already tried that and it ended up with the same issue. I will try to roll back to 1.5.x if that is possible and can go back.

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

May 29th, 2018 03:00

Hi Sudhir,

Were you able to try rolling back the BIOS?

If you could let us know, thanks.

June 5th, 2018 22:00

Hi DELL-Alasdair R,

Yes, and it didn't work. The end result was the same ME update failed but BIOS was updated.

https://imgur.com/a/OPer2Ez

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

June 6th, 2018 05:00

Hi Hi Sudhir,

It's looking more and more like a hardware issue. Please send me a PM (click on the envelope icon at the top right of the page) with your service tag and I'll look into the options.

Thanks

October 18th, 2018 14:00

Having the exact same issue.

Was this ever resolved?

Danny

Updated for email.

No Events found!