Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P1

3 Posts

January 15th, 2021 07:00

Monitor

Can Precision 7710 with Nvidia M5000 output at a higher resolution than HD to a monitor? Mine seems to output only in HD from the integrated iris graphics card.  

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 15th, 2021 08:00

@Picard 12  That system even when running through the Intel GPU will handle up to 4K 60 Hz.  And if that system has a BIOS option to allow the NVIDIA GPU to take direct control of the display outputs -- which I'm not sure it does since that may have arrived with the 7x20 systems -- it could potentially run 5K or even 8K 60 Hz if the necessary outputs to push that much bandwidth are available.  Can you provide more details about your setup, i.e. the display model, the input you're using on the display, the output you're using on the 7710 -- or output on the docking station if you're using one, as well as the exact dock model you're using -- and what specific cable/adapter(s) you're using to make that connection?  The more basic technical info you can provide about your setup, the more likely the people here who are willing to help will have enough to work with in order to give you useful answers.

January 15th, 2021 13:00

Hi @jphughan 

Thanks for the reply, right now am using a Dell U2713H monitor connected to the HDMI workstation output and the DVI input of the monitor.  The display card is intel Iris(R) Pro Graphics P 580. The Nvidia card is Quatro M5000M, When I try to adjust resolution the choices go up to 1920 x 10980 and color quality is not very good. In advance display settings the monitor shows as being 1920x1080, 8-bit , 60 Hz and standard Dynamic Range   

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 15th, 2021 14:00

@Picard 12  Ok, I'm not sure what's going on with colors, but the reason your resolution choices are maxing out at 1920x1080 is because that's the native resolution of the U2713H display.  8-bit color, 60 Hz, and standard dynamic range are also all typical parameters of PC displays, so nothing there is unusual.  If you haven't already, you could try resetting your display to factory defaults as well as any settings in your GPU drivers.

January 15th, 2021 14:00

Thanks a lot

217 Posts

January 16th, 2021 06:00

Your problem is most likely the HDMI to Display Port adapter.  Try getting a cable that is the same format on both ends.
Mini Display Port -> Display Port
Mini Display Port -> Mini Display Port
HDMI -> HDMI

HDMI and Display Port are not as simple as converting pin locations.  There is a microchip in the converter changing the signal format from one to the other.  This can limit the resolution and color depth depending on how old or cheap the electronics are in the cable.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 16th, 2021 07:00

@JamesJAB1  He said HDMI to DVI, not HDMI to DisplayPort. HDMI and DVI signals are identical at an electrical level up to 1920x1200. And HDMI source to DisplayPort input wouldn’t even work without an active adapter specifically designed to go in that direction as opposed to the more common DP source to HDMI input direction.

217 Posts

January 16th, 2021 08:00

Well, either way...  The monitor in question has HDMI, Mini Display Port and Display Port.  Right now the video signal is being limited by the maximum available bandwidth for single link DVI.  My above statement still holds true.

Get a regular HDMI cable or Display Port cable (with a Mini connector on one or both ends.)

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 16th, 2021 11:00

Ugh, I really hate Dell's inconsistent display naming conventions.

@Picard 12  the input from @JamesJAB1  is key.  I saw your display model as the U2713H and figured it was a 1920x1080 display because that's what "H" has typically designated.  But its resolution is apparently 2560x1440, even though Dell typically uses "D" for such displays.  So yes, you are limited by the fact that you're using an HDMI to DVI connection.  Your system's HDMI output would support 2560x1440, but only when connected to an actual HDMI input that supported it.  And the display's DVI input could actually accept 2560x1440, but only when fed by a dual-link DVI source.  HDMI and DVI are easily interchangeable only up to 1920x1200.  Above that, HDMI and DVI achieved those other resolutions in different ways, so passive adapters no longer work even if both the source and display would support that same resolution "natively".

And while I haven't checked this, it's possible that the HDMI input on that particular display does not support 2560x1440.  That display may have been introduced before an HDMI standard that supported that resolution existed.

In any case, the fix is indeed to switch to DisplayPort.  Based on your system's mDP output and your display's available inputs, you want either a Mini-DisplayPort to Mini-DisplayPort cable or a Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable.  Either one should get you 2560x1440.

No Events found!