Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 16th, 2018 10:00

NVMe drive upgrade to larger NVMe

I ordered my Precision 5520 with a 512 GB NVMe drive.  I've now decided to upgrade that to the 1TB.  I purchased a Samsung 1TB Pro NVMe and cloned my current NVMe drive to an older Samsung 512 GB SATA SSD with a USB to SATA cable.  I used AOMEI partition assistant for the clone.

I'm now having trouble cloning back to the newly installed 1TB drive.  I have to install it into the laptop in order to get access to it, as I've looked for NVMe to USB adapters, and can't find any that work. 

I can't seem to get my laptop to boot from the USB-connected SATA SSD.  I'm not sure why. 

AOMEI partition assistant won't let me clone from the SATA SSD source to the NVMe destination because the NVMe drive is what it's running off of - the OS and the program.

Anyway, I'm just really at a dead end.  Any help would be amazing.  Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

May 17th, 2018 06:00

Macrium Reflect will do the job -- the free version will work fine.

Use your external drive -- make an image of the original drive to the external SSD.  Then prepare a flash drive with the Macrium Reflect recovery media.  

Swap the new NVMe drive in place of the original one.  Boot the system from the Reflect recovery flash drive (F12 at powerup with it connected) and restore the image to the new drive.  Shut down, disconnect the external drive and remove the recovery flash drive.  The system should then boot correctly from the new NVMe drive.

May 21st, 2018 21:00

Thank you so much!  Worked like a charm.  The only other thing I had to do was increase the partition size once the new drive was installed.

33 Posts

May 31st, 2018 03:00

As far as I see, aomei partiton asssistant doesn't support the hard disk with system cloning connected by USB.  You can connect the older 512 GB SATA SSD to the system via USB, then use the AOMEI Backupper to back up the Precision 5520 with 512 GB NVMe drive to the old SSD. After the backup is complete, insert a USB drive and create it using the Create Booteable Media function. Bootable disk, and then the new 1TB NVMe directly in the notebook (not in USB, SATA interface) is completed after the U disk to boot into the AB's PE environment, using the restore function of the aomei backupper to select the old SSD Backup files are restored to the new 1TB NVMe.

2 Posts

August 8th, 2019 10:00

My plan is to install new NVMe to the wireless slot.

Clone to new via macruim

Swap NVME locations

Hopefully boot to no real issues.

The question is,..can I do that?

and another question is,...where is the area to ask an original question? I am logged in and do not see that option

2 Posts

August 8th, 2019 10:00

I see it is solved,..but,..question, is there another slot for the 2nd NVMe inside the cabinet? If yes can I put my 1TB there,..clone it,...swap it with the old NVMe and simply use it in the primary slot as if nothing changed??

2 Posts

December 30th, 2019 17:00

I also was wondering if installing a nvme in a wireless slot would work but I'm not sure. 

• 

25.1K Posts

Hi @Msuna,

Please refer https://dell.to/35cqqEl page # 2 for available storage options. SSD can be installed in SSD slot on the motherboard. Please refer https://dell.to/2SFDgIL for details on how to install the SSD. For any further queries please private message us the service tag. 

2 Posts

I'm trying to upgrade nvme 256 to 1 tb version. Also have 500 gb second hard drive installed. 

2 Posts

April 20th, 2021 16:00

usually not

No Events found!