Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

1 Message

August 8th, 2022 23:00

Precision 3551 and Nvidia Quadro 620

We got 2 DELL Precision 3551, for my partner and me. We have been getting BSOD crashes for a while. My partner's laptop starts a little earlier than mine. We are architects and we work with programs dedicated mostly to drawing and 3d applications. But now, the problem on both computers is unsustainable, we can't work that way.  We already tried updating the drivers, formatting the computer, changhing Global Presets and Preferred graphics processor on NVIDIA Control Panel, nothing works. Some things give us a little more time (hours), but eventually the BSOD crashes always come back.

• 

25K Posts

August 22nd, 2022 13:00

To provide the best of our support, start a private/direct message with us and we will be happy to help you.

• 

25K Posts

Hello, I see you are looking for technical assistance. If you need our help, you can follow @dellcares and start a private/direct message with us and we will be happy to assist you.

6 Posts

I bought the same dell precision 355 with nvidia quadro 620 last year, it overheats horribly, freezes when I try to use the CAD program or some 3d architects programs, it imminently gets hot, stops working with comes up with a blue screen. I think this model has some problems. now I am waiting for dell support to fix the issue, but now I really hope Dell replaces to another model! I really get disappointed with this model.

1 Message

August 23rd, 2022 10:00

I had the same problem using this laptop in combination with solidworks.  2 computers at my organization (same model) had the same driver related failure.

What fixed it in the end was installing the Nvidia driver from the dell site (even though this is not current)

"NVIDIA GeForce MX130/MXx50/9x0MX and NVIDIA Quadro Px20/P600 Graphics Driver"

scroll down to "Manually find a specific driver..." and you should see it listed there.

Support for Precision 3551 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell Canada

Note that windows update or any other nvidia updater may then change this driver at some point - which happened to me once and then the issue will flare up again.  Disable those auto update settings if possible and just reinstall this package and then back to normal again.

Good luck!

1 Message

November 21st, 2022 10:00

I have same problem which I have partially understood and solved.

I work with Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom and other similar apps too, months ago after a driver upgrade I started to experience BSOD crashes like 5-6 times a day making my work days really stressing and frustrating.

After many observations, upgrades, checks and tests I understood that the problem is the Nvidia Quadro 620 driver that causes the BSODs, so I went to the DELL Support Assist site and I found this old 2020 driver "NVIDIA-ISV-Certified-Graphics-Driver_6TWFN_WIN_27.21.14.5167_A00.EXE", I installed it and the BSOD stopped and I was able to work without BSOD for the next 2-3 months.

But now when I open Lightroom latest version, I get a popup windows that says (I'm translating...): "Compatibility Report: NVIDIA Quadro P620: The driver you are using contains a bug that could cause random app crashes, please upgrade to the latest driver version".
I upgraded to the latest driver (hoping that maybe they solved the BSOD problem) but I got a new BSOD by the next 30 minutes of work.

So now my situation is:
A) If I keep the new P620 driver, I get random BSOD crashes from PC as happened before;
B) If I install the "stable" old driver from 2020, I get random BSOD crashes while using Lightroom.

I am thinking to buy a new laptop but actually I am frustrated because the Dell 3551 is still in warranty period and I paid a lot of money for it.

I tried to contact the dell support and what they told me at first is to do a format and reinstall of the OS, but this is not a proper solution because in the end I will have same problem (the driver will upgrate to the latest version) and also for me to format my work pc means days for reainstall all the apps, services and data, etc.

I really don't know what to do, I use Dell Precision since ever and I always was proud of these machines, but this time I feel like I got a garbage computer and feel left alone with the problems...

Thanks for any suggestion.

July 19th, 2023 07:00

Dell support remains unresponsive regarding this product. It seems evident that the Precision 3551 is a flawed product, and because of this, I have developed a negative opinion about Dell laptops in general. I have wasted a significant amount of money on this purchase. 

No Events found!