Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

3 Posts

November 18th, 2020 13:00

Precision 5540 with WD19 docking station - delayed audio on front port of dock

Hello,

I'm using a Precision 5540 laptop with a WD19 docking station. When using the docking station audio, there is an initial delay for sound playback. I can confirm this by using the volume control in windows 10 and hearing the "ding" when it changes. The first ding is delayed and sometimes garbled, then subsequent volume changes are fine. If I close the volume panel and open it again, I get the initial delay again.

This happens on calls etc too, so it's not just the volume panel, but other audio sources.

I've confirmed it does not happen with using the direct 3.5mm into the laptop, only the docking station.

I've tried updating the drivers, and using generic Realtek USB audio drivers too, no change.

I have not tried updating the firmware of the docking station, as that may require corporate IT to get into that menu.

Thanks all

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 18th, 2020 13:00

@erikthered  Haven't encountered this myself, but if you have admin access to update drivers, you have the necessary access to update dock firmware.  You can get the firmware updater from the WD19 Downloads page here.  You just launch that updater in Windows and it will first show you the current firmware revisions of the various components as well as the revisions contained in the updater package.  If the latter versions are newer, you can choose to update, in which case the system will restart and update the firmware during its initial boot, much like a BIOS update.

November 18th, 2020 14:00

Hello,

Unfortunately I receive this error when attempting the firmware update process.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 18th, 2020 15:00

@erikthered  Sorry if this sounds like an obvious question, but have you verified that the dock's power source is connected to the dock and a power outlet and that the power supply is either 130W or 180W?  When paired with a Precision 5540, the WD19 should have a 180W source attached to be able to pass through 130W to the system, which is what the 5540 is designed to have.  If that's not the issue, I've never encountered that error before.  Sorry!

March 3rd, 2021 12:00

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, the dock is a WD19, with 130/180 W power

No Events found!