Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 7th, 2022 12:00

Precision 5770 for Engineering Student?

Hello, 

I'm starting college next fall and will need a new laptop. It's still nearly a year before I'm going to purchase one, so I'm being a bit proactive here. But, I figured I'll get something with a 12th gen Alder lake CPU, since they'll have been out for a little over a year and likely be a more reliable option. 

Anyway, I'm going for Mechanical Engineering, so my hardware requirements are pretty strict. I (briefly) thought about a new M1 MacBook Pro, but I'm a PC guy at heart and Macs aren't supported for my use anyway, especially since I have to run Solidworks. 

Most of my hardware requirements are pretty straightforward, 

Windows 10 Pro

Intel i7 or i9. Or AMD Ryzen 5, 7, or 9

32 GB RAM

512GB SSD

But, it has to have a discrete NVIDIA GPU from Solidworks' supported list. So no 3050, 3060, ect. This makes it a lot harder.

So, I'm currently looking at a Dell Precision 5770. It's basically a XPS 17, but with a workstation-level GPU. I want a 17" almost entirely because it has vapor chamber cooling, though the 97Whr battery is nice too.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/workstations-isv-certified/new-precision-5770-workstation/spd/precision-17-5770-laptop/xctop5770usvp?configurationid=dee708f1-f0d8-44f3-aca6-b9296d706dea

I'd spec it out as follows:

i7-12700H

Nvidia RTX A3000

32GB RAM

1 TB SSD

And the 4k touch display.

Thoughts? 

(The price isn't a huge deal)

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

August 7th, 2022 13:00

By the time you need the system, Intel (and no doubt AMD) will have released another generation of CPUs -- and nVidia is about to release a new series of RTX 4000 GPUs this year (2022).  No doubt AMD has similar plans.

So, it's very likely the model you're specifying now won't even exist when you go to order the system.  Revisit the issue in 10 months or so before making any decisions -- by then, the 13th generation of CPU will be available, and new GPUs as well.

16 Posts

August 7th, 2022 14:00

Apparently Intel's 13th gen CPUs are rumored to release this year, much sooner than I thought. I guess I'm a bit too early lol. I'll keep an eye on the that Precision though, see if it becomes available with a 13th gen core, as like a 5780 or something. I do really like the XPS, which this is almost identical to, so it's still top of my list. 

No Events found!