Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

11 Posts

October 18th, 2018 19:00

Precision 7530 high battery drain and random display blank

Hi everyone.

I purchased a Dell Precision 7530 with a Quadro P3200 two months ago. I've been generally pleased with it, except for the fact that the display is only 6-bit with dithering, and there's apparently no G-Sync, for video game development. And of course, there's the title.

1. I average around 5 to 6 hours from 100% to 0% with Switchable graphics on, and the direct GPU output mode off in the BIOS. There are little, if any power-consuming applications run: browsing the Web (typically 5-10 tabs), viewing PDFs, writing short lines of code. Given the 97 Whr battery, I expect 8 to 10 hours easily, but I average only around half that, with typical power draw being 15-20 W. What is wrong? I have performed the sfc /scannow and the DISM tests, with no issues found. BIOS and all drivers are up to date. I cannot find the rogue process with procexp.exe either, so I think it's a low-level hardware issue. Oddly enough, I tried to boot the laptop with the Quadro's power cable on the motherboard unplugged, and it refused to even POST.

2. The display randomly turns blank. The backlight is still clearly on, and programs are still running—any music continues to play, and I can perform actions that have auditory feedback. I can fix this by momentarily pressing the power button (hence sending the computer to sleep), and then reawakening the laptop. This is noticeable, and happens at least thrice a day. 

As already mentioned, I have performed the sfc tests, even reinstalled (thrice, at this point, so I'm on my fourth fresh install), with all drivers updated, and this issue still crops up. I really would like to get idle and low-use power draw down as much as possible, because 15-20 W while doing nothing at all, really is quite high.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

November 13th, 2018 13:00

@SRSR333,

Do you still need assistance?

There's likely not much I can do about the battery charge time but I found this:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln85590/how-to-improve-your-dell-laptops-battery-performance?lang=en

In regards to the screen blank out: Due to the troubleshooting you've done so far, there could be a hardware issue. Please send me a PM with your name and service tag. We'll see what options we have. 

11 Posts

November 13th, 2018 19:00

@DELL-Justin C

Thanks for the reply. 

As for the power issue, I think the NVIDIA Quadro video card is still drawing power even in the Integrated graphics mode. Even though HWiNFO says the card is inactive, the fact that power draw is roughly equal regardless of whether or not the Integrated Graphics mode is enabled, is a telltale sign that on a hardware/firmware level, the Quadro is still enabled. The power is merely not reported to Windows (or Linux). I believe this requries intervention from the engineers, and possibly a firmware update, or at the worst, a recall. Hopefully not the latter. 

If you could report this up, that'd be great. It's not just me; on the NotebookReview forums, everyone else with a 7530 is experiencing poor battery life. Same goes for the NotebookCheck review of the 7530. Compare the power draw to the Precision 5530 or the ThinkPad P1; the power draw on the 7530 is twice that of that on the latter two notebooks. 

I've PM-ed you my details for the screen blanking.

Thanks much once again.

2 Posts

February 22nd, 2019 08:00

Hi my Precision 7530 also sufferer from random Black screen, while laptop still running in the background. Pretty frustrating. I also did the standard scans etc. still a problem. It happens quite often while rendering 3D. Almost every time

1 Message

March 2nd, 2019 06:00

Que tal,

Yo tengo el mismo problema, mi pantalla se pone negra cuando estoy trabajando (lo hace ocasionalmente, como si se suspendiera). Cuando pasa estoy tengo que "encenderla" de nuevo. Me he tratado de comunicar con la persona que me apoyó en la venta pero no responde mis correos. Me ha pasado desde el 1er día que la tuve. ¿Dónde me pueden apoyar con este tema? Gracias.

Saludos.

1 Message

December 12th, 2019 18:00

Hi Justin,

I also have this issue of the laptop screen going blank/dark.  I do not use this laptop too much but today i needed it all day and it appears to be worse then i thought.

Could you email me instructions on what to do.

Thom Hume

Service Tag #

1 Message

June 23rd, 2020 10:00

I also have the problem of my screen going black, and it is becoming more frequent.
What is the fix?

11 Posts

June 24th, 2020 10:00

guys are you getting same problem with screen ?

No Events found!