DELL-John C

Re: Precision 7730 -- brightness adjustment stops working in latest BIOS

@ddmb 

We've heard back from our engineering teams and they have advised that the next BIOS update for the Precision 7730 will be released at the end of December which will resolve this issue.

Downgrading to BIOS version 1.10.1 will provide a temporary resolution to this issue (https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=kvcky&oscode=wt64a&produc...), however we would advise that you always have the latest BIOS update installed to ensure that any relevant security fixes are in place.

John C

Dell EMC
| Commercial Social Media Quality Lead

0 Kudos
Vincent Schut
2 Bronze

Just fyi, and hopefully not too late for the next bios update: for me also the sleep/suspend key (Fn+End) stopped working after the bios upgrade to 1.11.0.

0 Kudos
Dell-Alan D

@Vincent Schut thanks for adding to the thread. Can you help me out with some more details so I can a greater understanding of the issue please :-

a) Are you also experiencing the same issue with the brightness adjustment not working?

b) Are there any other Fn button combinations not responding?

c) If you roll back to 1.10.1 does the functionality of those buttons return? - https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=kvcky&oscode=wt64a&produc...

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Vincent Schut
2 Bronze

Hi Alan,

a) yes, both brightness up/down and sleep do not work for me with 1.11.0

b) no, not that I know, but I don't use all of them. In the mean time I have downgraded to 1.10.1, so it is a bit hard to test the other buttons now...

c) yes, both brightness up/down and sleep do work again after downgrading to 1.10.1

In addition, during the short time I've been on 1.11.0, I've had issues with battery drainage during sleep mode. I'm not entirely sure if it was the bios (but I highly suspect it). I have not yet tried suspending for a longer time after the downgrade, but I'll try that today and let you know.

Vincent.

0 Kudos
ddmb
2 Bronze

@DELL-John C 

you wrote this:

Downgrading to BIOS version 1.10.1 will provide a temporary resolution to this issue, however we would advise that you always have the latest BIOS update installed to ensure that any relevant security fixes are in place.

Sorry, but losing the possibility to change the brightness of the laptop's screen is something I cannot live with... So I'm very surprised that you still have that version 11 on your site since this version ruined a lot of important things (maybe someone cannot miss the screen projection to an external device). And end of December is almost 2 months yet...

Or is there any other possibilty (different key combination) to change the brightness of the screen that I'm not aware of?

Dell-Alan D

@ddmb the security updates that the BIOS addresses are more important to all systems than a keyboard shortcut functionality.

You can still change the screen brightness by right clicking on your desktop and then clicking "Display Settings"

You can then change the screen brightness using the slider in the same way you would use the Fn keys and the up and down arrows

image.png

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

ddmb
2 Bronze

Firmware ver.1.12.1 appeared on the download site, however after quick tests I can state it is still not completely correct. "Dell Command | Update" is not checking for outdated drivers and TB18DC firmware utility goes to error (see attachements).

command_update.PNG

thunderbolt_firmware.PNG

0 Kudos
pvdputte
2 Bronze

Updated to 1.12 yesterday.

It appears that the brightness shortkeys still don't work. What's more, the two times my system was put in suspend mode, it won't wake up anymore.

Ubuntu 18.04LTS.

Downgrading again.

0 Kudos
nanders1
2 Bronze

same here, brightness and suspend issues have not been resolved with 1.12 on my machine

0 Kudos
Dell-Alan D

@pvdputte can you advise if the screen brightness settings work if you change them while in the BIOS environment rather than the Ubuntu environment?

Do the other Fn key features work correctly?

Do you have the system setup in the BIOS correctly as per this screenshot

image.png

If you flash the BIOS again to 1.12.1 does the functionality return?

I'll drop you a private message to get your tag details.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos