Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

1 Rookie

• 

28 Posts

September 20th, 2019 13:00

Precision 7730 -- brightness adjustment stops working in latest BIOS

I updated my BIOS to the latest (1.11.0) and after that I was not able to change brightness in Windows with Fn+Up and Fn+Down. I reverted back BIOS to the previous version (1.10.1) and now it's fine. My machine was purchased in France, but I don't speak French and with my service tag system allowed me to chat with French. I started an English chat but the guy told me that the common chat is not technical related.

1 Rookie

• 

28 Posts

December 9th, 2019 05:00

Firmware ver.1.12.1 appeared on the download site, however after quick tests I can state it is still not completely correct. "Dell Command | Update" is not checking for outdated drivers and TB18DC firmware utility goes to error (see attachements).

command_update.PNG

thunderbolt_firmware.PNG

9 Posts

December 12th, 2019 02:00

Updated to 1.12 yesterday.

It appears that the brightness shortkeys still don't work. What's more, the two times my system was put in suspend mode, it won't wake up anymore.

Ubuntu 18.04LTS.

Downgrading again.

2 Posts

December 15th, 2019 23:00

same here, brightness and suspend issues have not been resolved with 1.12 on my machine

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

December 18th, 2019 03:00

@ddmb thanks for the update. Before we address the issues with Command | Update and the Dock Firmware Utility - do the Fn keys now respond correctly after updating to the latest BIOS revision?

For Command | Update, I have seen that issue happen before. Sometimes it can take a few attempts for it to pick up new updates. Additionally, the screenshot you have attached doesn't match what you have described is happening. You mentioned that it's failing to check for outdated drivers - when was the last time you ran it?

Have you tried uninstalling Command | Update and then reinstalling it?

If you run Support Assist instead does it also give the same problem of picking up outdated drivers?

For the dock Firmware update utility, it's running the latest version. When you previously updated the dock firmware did you carry out the following steps :-

Post Installation
1. Power cycle the docking station after the firmware update is completed on Dell TB16, TB18, and WD15 docking stations.
2. Remove the docking station cable from the system.
3. Unplug the AC power adapter from the docking station.
4. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds to drain any remaining power.
5. Plug in the AC power adapter to the docking station before connecting the system.

If you try the above steps and then try the firmware updater again - do you get the same issue?

Has this only happened since updating to 1.12.1 BIOS?

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

December 18th, 2019 04:00

@nanders1 similar to my response to @pvdputte 

can you advise if the screen brightness settings work if you change them while in the BIOS environment rather than the Windows environment?

Do the other Fn key features work correctly?

Do you have the system setup in the BIOS correctly as per this screenshot

If you flash the BIOS again to 1.12.1 does the functionality return?

I'll drop you a private message to get your tag details.

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

December 18th, 2019 04:00

@pvdputte can you advise if the screen brightness settings work if you change them while in the BIOS environment rather than the Ubuntu environment?

Do the other Fn key features work correctly?

Do you have the system setup in the BIOS correctly as per this screenshot

image.png

If you flash the BIOS again to 1.12.1 does the functionality return?

Alan

1 Rookie

• 

28 Posts

December 19th, 2019 00:00

Yes, I can confirm that Fn-keys now respond correctly under Windows 10 after upgrading BIOS to 1.12.1.

regarding Command | Update:

I upgraded the BIOS to 1.12.1 in my office, where we have proxy. Command | Update didn't work then. Then I went home and I tried it with normal internet. It worked. Next day in the office didn't work again... So the problem is with internet with proxy setting, I suppose.... BUT before BIOS 1.12.1 the Command | Update was normally checking for outdated drivers even in my office where we have proxy. So something has been changed on your side as well.

regarding Docking firmware

I wanted to upgrade the docking firmware when I had BIOS ver. 1.11.0 on my machine, but I couldn't. I struggled a lot with it, then I noticed that also brightness settings are not working anymore with 1.11.0. So I reverted to BIOS 1.10.1 where Fn-settings were okay and I also was able to upgrade the docking firmware. For your request I upgraded BIOS again to 1.11.0 => Fn-settings stopped working again, and the docking firmware tool went to error again. And this seemingly was not taken to account when creating the new BIOS ver. 1.12.1

---

Now I tried you advice: Post installation 1.-5. for upgrading docking station's firmware. I regret that I tried it... For the moment my docking station completely stopped working. I shut down and restarted my machine several times but the USBs, ethernet and displayport completely stopped working if they are plugged into the dock, so I had to unplug these cables from docking station and plug it into the laptop in order to be able to write this sentence... how to get back the docking station to its normal working???

Anyway why are you asking me to do this or that. You told me that you have the same type of machine in your office. Don't tell me you can't afford the TB18DC which is the only compatible docking for Precision 7730. This is the last ocassion I'm writing here, I'm not going to be your beta tester for these unfinished hardware pieces. I'm paid by my company and not by yours. My company paid to Dell nice amount of money so I can work on the HW your company provided. Fix the problems finally.

1 Rookie

• 

28 Posts

December 19th, 2019 01:00

DellCares

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

December 19th, 2019 03:00

@ddmb that's great to hear that the Fn keys are now correctly responding.

With regards to Command | Update this sounds more like your proxy or network settings rather than the application itself. I would have expected to hear more customers advising of problems with updates by now if there was a problem with the application. The best way to confirm this would be to try rolling back to the previous revision of Command | Update and seeing if the problem still exists.

For the docking station functionality issues, the majority of problems can be solved by BIOS updates, firmware updates and correct driver installation. I suspect the majority of your issues have been caused by incorrect driver installation order. 

The reason we are asking you to do this is not through lack of equipment, it's because we are unable to replicate the issue using the exact same equipment. If there is an underlying error that we are not aware of, there is a certain level of troubleshooting that needs to be carried out first to rule out the basics before engineering would investigate further.

My suggestion would be to work through this docking station troubleshooting guide and it should resolve the issues you are having - https://www.dell.com/support/article/uk/en/ukbsdt1/sln308303/dell-usb-c-and-thunderbolt-docks-wd15-tb16-tb18dc-wd19-wd19tb-wd19dc-d6000-bios-settings-and-driver-installation-for-troubleshooting?lang=en

Alan

10 Posts

December 19th, 2019 21:00

I'm not sure if related, but i recently lost [fn]+[up] ability to change the brightness, as well.  BIOS 1.12.1 for me, and I'm on a 7530, not a 7730.  Linux for me, and doesn't work in live environments, either.

• 

25K Posts

December 19th, 2019 21:00

Hi Mtsn,

Kindly share the system service tag through the private note, we will be glad to assist you further.

2 Posts

December 20th, 2019 03:00

sorry for the late reply, I had to reflash the latest bios update again since I got back to 1.10 because the laptop doesn't wake up after suspend with 1.12

I can confirm that the bios settings are set as in your screenshot. I can also confirm that the fn + brightness settings are working fine in the bios menu.

I don't have Windows installed so I don't know what happens there.

On Ubuntu 18.04 all fn keys such as volume up/down, search, keyboard backlight etc are working, except for the brightness control and the suspend button. Also after automatic suspend the laptop frequently doesn't wake up and I have to long press the power button to switch it off before I can start it again.

All works fine when I revert to 1.10. I agree with an earlier comment that security updates are more important than fn shortcuts and we should always install the latest bios update, but the suspend issue is rather annoying.

Since it works in the bios menu, it doesn't work on Ubuntu, and I read here that it works on Windows, it is probably related to Ubuntu. Maybe I need to recompile some kernel modules or so. Although I never had to do this after bios upgrades with other laptops.

3 Posts

December 30th, 2019 03:00

Hello to everyone,

I bought a Precision 7530 and I had to reinstall Windows for many reasons.

I have an annoying issue with brightness: I can't dim it with Fn+ArrowDown nor with using Windows Display settings.

I tried several workaround such as:
- updated BIOS to 1.12.1 (that mention "Fixed the issue where the LCD brightness cannot be adjusted." in enhancements list, BTW)
- disabled and re-enabled Intel UHD 360 from Device Manager
- uninstalled and reinstalled Intel's driver
- updated all the system with Dell Precision Optimizer
- disabled and re-enable "Generic PnP Monitor"

I installed Ubuntu 16.04LTS and the dim works forcing brightness level in /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness after change some kernel parameters in grub.
So, this is not an issue of dim system

I ran out of ideas.. What can I do to resolve this issue? my eyes are close to vaporizing because of the extreme screen's brightness

Thank you in advance for your support, I'm looking forward for your answer
Best regards!!

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

December 30th, 2019 06:00

@nanders1 as the settings are functioning in the BIOS, this confirms that the the hardware and the BIOS updates are working correctly.

At present Ubuntu 18.04 is not officially certified to work with the 7730. We are unable to guarantee that some or all of the features will work as a result of installing 18.04 on the system. 16.04 has been certified for the system though.

Do you mind responding to my private message with your tag details.

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

December 30th, 2019 07:00

@ispisp it's strange for you to have issues with both the Fn keys and also the Windows display settings. That suggests a corrupt version of Windows.

Were these issue present after installing Windows for your other issues?

As you have installed Ubuntu and it functions correctly that rules out any hardware issues with the system.

Do the Fn keys function correctly in the BIOS?

You mentioned that you updated to BIOS 12.1, but did it update correctly and show as 12.1 when checked in the BIOS?

Do you have switchable graphics disabled in the BIOS?

Alan

No Events found!