lagislovas
2 Bronze

Re: Precision 7730 -- brightness adjustment stops working in latest BIOS

same there, 7730 i9 with 5200 gpu, if intel is enebled. then cant adjust brightness. bios 12.

some times aswell if i leave laptop, its in sleep mode, and you need restart it manualy to wake it up

and now, i have dell external monitor 27 usb-c, after 10min screens goes off. then i move mouse, only main screen on laptop wake-up. external 27' usb-c, in sleep/standby mode. if i do detect screen no screen detected. need unplug usb-c and then connect it back or turn off and on monitor. then its detects it.

0 Kudos
_Artur_
2 Bronze

BIOS version 1.13.1 has been lately released, so I made an upgrade. There was a small change: after pressing Fn+Up|Down system (kernel 5.6.0-2-amd64) no longer writes messages like "ACPI Error AE_NOT_FOUND" into /var/log/syslog, but brightness control still does not work. I keep custom shortcuts defined (Win+Up|Down) in Gnome settings, they work using following commands:

gdbus call --session --dest org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Power --object-path /org/gnome/SettingsDaemon/Power --method org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Power.Screen.StepUp
gdbus call --session --dest org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Power --object-path /org/gnome/SettingsDaemon/Power --method org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Power.Screen.StepDown

I tried to install intel-microcode too (version 3.20200609.2), but this package still breaks resuming the laptop from sleep state, so I removed it again and resume works again.

It is almost a year of patches after version 1.10.1, where everything worked, so I doubt the brightness and resume bugs will be ever fixed for current operating systems. They might not occur in Ubuntu 16.04, but I don't want to use an outdated system.

0 Kudos
mtsn
2 Bronze

thanks for the update, now i know to not try 1.13 either.  1.10 is the last one that works, with so many different Dells.  I wonder why they claim it does?

Interesting that the EFI can down download an OS image... each time the techs tried to walk me through that process on a windows machine, it didn't work and much later I'd find out that their server was down or something.  Needed a physical visit to fix that.  I know of someone else on the 1.12 EFI and they said that they had problems with starting the computer from standby with no power if it also went on standby with no power.  Wondering if that's fixed.  I sometimes have this issue... will be unresponsive to all keys except power.

Version 1.13.1:
Fixes: - Fixed the issue where the screen brightness cannot be adjusted.
• Fixed the issue where the system cannot boot using the SD card.
• Fixed the issue where the system cannot provide 210 W of power when connected to the Dell Performance Dock-WD19DC.

Enhancements:
• This update integrates the BIOSConnect feature into Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery. It connects the system to the Dell image server to download and recover the operating system.
• Updated the BIOS warning message that is displayed when an AC adapter with low wattage is connected to the system.
• Enhanced the system firmware auto recovery function when system firmware does not work.
• Enhanced the BIOS firmware update.

0 Kudos
delta78561
2 Bronze

I have a Dell Precision 7530, without the option to enable or disable GPU switching and just have an internal GPU. I've been experiencing the same problem and have managed to fix it by modifying the DSDT (which I would not recommend to others) and removing "External (_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.NHDA, UnknownObj)" and "External (NHDA, UnknownObj)" and anything trying to read or write those. Please don't use deflection techniques on people by saying it's not a HW issue if it works in BIOS as this is a software issues in ACPI, and while you may or may not be using DSDT in the Setup, OS will and need a clear documentation or specification on what NHDA is.

The reason backlight switching worked in BIOS version 1.10.1 was that the keypresses were passed to the OS instead of being handled in ACPI, and now it's different. Please try to be more succint in the changelogs on what's happening, rather than "Fix backlight...", which you haven't. The reason we buy Dell HW is because of its quality and compliance to standards which usually lead to great Linux support. I hope this will help you to escalate to managers on what's important...

mtsn
2 Bronze

WOW, that's some great sleuthing, @delta78561 .  I can't believe you modified the ACPI's DSDT.  You've been able to present the issue that we've all been saying, but couldn't prove.  Now we know why it affects multiple OS's but not the EFI.  Keypresses have been going to ACPI since 1.10.1 BIOS, instead of passed to the kernel.  Thanks! 

Now it's Dell's turn to work with the community and provide documentation of the ACPI methods, it seems.

0 Kudos
_Artur_
2 Bronze

I wrote another comment a few times, adding was confirmed, then whole post disappeared - strange, I'll try to add again, smaller parts

0 Kudos
_Artur_
2 Bronze

There (https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=204251) are suggestions to fix Dell DSDT table too, but it requires custom kernel flag that is not set by default:
$ grep CONFIG_ACPI_CUSTOM_METHOD /boot/config-5.7.0-1-amd64
# CONFIG_ACPI_CUSTOM_METHOD is not set
Unfortunately it does not always work (didn't for Precision 5540).

_Artur_
2 Bronze

About second problem (laptop freezes after resume on battery supply): I tried latest intel-microcode and kernel versions (which are 3.20200616.1 and 5.7.0-1-amd64), additionally installed all missing firmwares, ex.:
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/cml_huc_4.0.0.bin for module i915
but Dell 7730 still freezes. It is probably another BIOS change after version 1.10.1, so system updates won't resolve the problem.

0 Kudos
pvdputte
2 Bronze

Did anyone try 1.14 yet? Are we stuck forever?

- Firmware updates to address security advisory INTEL-SA-00295 (CVE-2020-0536, CVE-2020-0539, CVE-2020-0545, and CVE-2020-0566).
- Firmware updates to address the Intel Security Advisories INTEL-SA-00289 (CVE-2019-11157) and INTEL-SA-00317 (CVE-2019-14607).
- Firmware updates to address security advisory INTEL-TA-00404 (CVE-2020-8758).
- Fixed the issue where the system cannot display the BIOS setup menu on an external monitor when the system lid is closed.
- Fixed the issue where the system does not charge when one of two USB Type-C adapters are unplugged.
- Fixed the issue where the system stops responding in the BIOS setup screen when the thunderbolt cable is unplugged.
- Fixed the issue where the BIOS update fails while recovering through hard drive or USB.
- Fixed the issue where an error message stating Key Mapping for Console Redirection BIOS is displayed before the Dell logo screen.

_Artur_
2 Bronze

Yep, we are, as described above. I installed latest versRe: Precision 7730 -- brightness adjustment stops working in latest BIOS

Yep, we are, as described above. I installed latest version of firmware:

root@P7730:~# fwupdmgr get-devices
─System Firmware:
│ Identyfikator urządzenia:f6d8adf7724cb115dbb7e99b52f70ddbe1168be0
│ Obecna wersja: 1.14.4
│ Minimalna wersja: 1.14.4
│ Dostawca: Dell Inc. (DMI:Dell Inc.)
│ GUID: db72c932-b3c6-4640-b382-3f4619ab447b

root@P7730:~# fwupdmgr get-updates
Urządzenia bez dostępnych aktualizacji oprogramowania sprzętowego:
• ST8000DM004-2CX188
• UEFI dbx