Highlighted
Nicojedk
1 Copper

Precision M2800 keeps shutting down when I use the GPU

My Dell precision M2800 keeps turning off without a warning after a few minutes of using the GPU. Disabling the gpu (AMD FirePro W4710m) fixed it, but does that mean I can no longer use my gpu? In the bios it said something about Critical temperature shutdown. Are my fans broken?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
SSendra
1 Copper

Re: Precision M2800 keeps shutting down when I use the GPU

I am recently having the same exact issue.  The AMD GPU I notice is getting very hot and shutting down computer.  If I use the Intel GPU the computer works fine.  I did open up the computer and there is 2 heat pipes.  1 heat pipe connected to the CPU and 1 heat pipe connected to the GPU.  Both heat pipes connect to 1 heat sink for cooling.  I would have thought there would have been a separate fan for the GPU, but there is not.  The CPU and GPU share the same heat sink.  If you hear and feel the fan blowing on the left side then the fan is working.  I did blow out any dust from the heat sink with compressed air, but I am still having the issue with computer shutting down. 

I installed HWiNFO64 and noticed the GPU thermal Diode for the AMD raises very quickly over 90C with load as little as 30% usage.  I currently have no solution, I hope someone is able to provide a solution to this problem because it is causing me a lot of issues with computer shutting off during the middle of work.

0 Kudos