2 Bronze

Problem installing Dell Backup & Recovery App

i have the Precision M2800. Had a problem starting my windows 10 a week ago. I did back up my hole drive data on an external hard drive using Dell backup software using USB Windows imaged copy I made before upgrading to Windows 10 back then. I recovered my OS and ran into my system and found the Dell recovery App. Tried to restore my data but the app can't sees it. Then I de-partition my only C segment into two partitions so I can have a separated partition for the OS only and I left the recovery partition as it is. installed the original windows 7 from the DVD and installed all the drivers from the dell support website. now I can't install the Dell Backup & Recovery software in it's all version. The latest version gives me the "factory setup error 2 " message and the two older versions show "factory setup error 5 " message! what can I do to retrieve my data?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
7 Gold

Re: Problem installing Dell Backup & Recovery App

You're going to need to reload the OS you had on the system before Windows 10, install DBAR (1.9) and THEN update it to Windows 10.

DBAR was never made fully compatible with Windows 10 - it will run on systems that have been upgraded from an earlier OS, but won't install on a system that has a clean copy of Windows 10 installed.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln298526/dell-backup-and-recovery-dbar-and-windows-10...

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

I've rolled back to the OS on DVD which came with the laptop but I can't install the DBAR in any of its versions! sometimes I get "factory setup error 5" or "factory setup error 2" 

At the first time, i recovered the factory backup image I had on a flash drive and it did have the DBAR installed with it but the app didn't recognize my backup data to restore! 

I even installed the DBAR app on other Dell laptop I have and connect the external hard drive I used for full backup and it can't see the encrypted data although I've selected the directory. I'll insert some print screens in few hours.

0 Kudos
7 Gold

Have you run a full diagnostic on the drive?  This sounds very much like your initial problems - and the new ones - are tied to a drive that has developed bad sectors.

F12 at powerup to get to the diagnostics.

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

I did. the internal hard drive has no problem.

The data is on an external hard drive so it's not the issue i think

0 Kudos