Highlighted
Alterius
1 Copper

Re: Dell XPS NVIDIA GPU not being used

Is there still no update from Dell on this issue? I have a Dell Precision 5540 with a Quadro T2000 that I use for CAD design and rendering. It seems completely random when it will actually use the Quadro and when it will just try in vain to render complex 3D assemblies with the integrated UHD graphics. I've done all of the recommended fixes, changing settings in Nvidia Control Panel to use the Quadro for all applications, and right clicking specific applications and choosing "run with graphics processor" and choosing the Quadro. None of it seems to have any effect at all. The computer just uses the UHD graphics 90% of the time.

I've even tried completely disabling the UHD graphics in Device Manager, and this works but of course I can't have any external displays while in this state because the Quadro doesn't actually have access to the video ports.

Dell, please just make a setting somewhere in Windows or BIOS that will allow users to actually make the computer use the dedicated graphics card we paid so much money for.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
U2CAMEB4ME
4 Ruthenium

Re: Dell XPS NVIDIA GPU not being used

Welcome to the Dell Community @Alterius 

There was a BIOS update 10/16/2019.

Dell Precision 5540 System BIOS:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=33f69&oscode=wt64a&produc...

But in the Fixes and Enhancements it does not reference your problem???

There is also this one released 12 Sep 2019.

nVIDIA ISV certified driver:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=vv553&oscode=wt64a&produc...

Fixes & Enhancements:

The following applications have been certified with this ISV Certified driver:

Autodesk AutoCAD 2017
Autodesk AutoCAD 2018
Autodesk AutoCAD 2019
Autodesk Inventor 2017
Autodesk Inventor 2018
Autodesk Inventor 2019
Autodesk Revit 2017
Autodesk Revit 2018
Autodesk Revit 2019
Siemens NX 11