Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

9 Posts

September 22nd, 2019 18:00

System Properties for Dell T7400

I just performed a clean installation of Windows 10 on my Dell T7400; the desktop meets and/or exceeds the hardware requirements.  Under the Systems Properties page the "Computer Name" is automatically provided  a unique name by Dell to satisfy the field.  The Dell unique name must be stored somewhere in the Dell hardware, then made available to the installation when the setup calls for the information.

I, in a moment of illogic, I changed the unique name.  I think this unique name is important in setting up "Sharing and Network" perimeters.

Can anyone tell me how I can recover the Dell unique name?

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

September 22nd, 2019 18:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @FGKraese 

Have you tried clicking on the "System Protection" tab and doing a "System Restore"

Its been a long time since I had to do it but I think if you have a restore point it should revert it back to the original name???

Best regards,

U2

9 Posts

September 23rd, 2019 18:00

It has been 18 months since I performed a clean install of Windows 10 and, it was at that time I changed the Dell computer ID.  Having changed the Dell computer ID in other Dell desktops and laptops operating from XP to Windows 7 there was no consequences in sharing files an folders amongst my 4 computers.  With Windows 10, the unique Dell computer ID, I think, plays a part in the secure sharing of files and folders; I am having problems sharing.

No Events found!