Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 2nd, 2019 05:00

Which docks will work for Precision 7530?

After browsing through all the trouble with the TB18DC dock, I'm wondering if there's some other dock that can be used with this system? It seems that the WD15 (or any other dock with a single connector) may not be able to charge it.  

In short, does anyone have a stable setup using a 7530 with a dock?

2 Posts

September 12th, 2019 09:00

Yes, I have. On my second WD19DC already. Same symptoms.

intermittently, this docking device shuts itself and I lose USB 3 (2x 1TB SSD) drives and network connectivity.

it happens at least once a day. The only way to bring it back is to reboot my Precision 7530. in the middle of my work it randomly shuts off.

It **bleep** !!!

They offer to replace the motherboard. I read the thread here. No way!!

I bought another device today (Kensington SD4600P) and will test for at least 3 days to see if it will behave the same. The only thing I do not like this (Kensington) device is that it does not charge laptop battery.

Hopefully, it will work out and we will know (or not) if it is the WD19DC docking station issue.  

2 Posts

September 17th, 2019 05:00

Well, after disabling network port on Docking station (WD19DC) , my laptop is up w/o any issue for the last 3 days. Prior to that twice a day my docking station would shuts off some connected devices (surprisingly, not the 2 extra monitors). I am using laptop built-in network port.

Hopefully, Dell will come up with new driver for WD19DC network port soon.

1 Message

November 7th, 2019 04:00

Just picked up a 7730 and wd19dc. What a piece of crap. The dock has issue with connecting correctly. Sometime one led sometimes the other led and on rare occasions both led on the tb port. And even with 2 led, my 7730 is loosing battery every min. If I’m going to have to power both the laptop and doc, I should just buy 3rd party TB dock. They work much better. I have a caldigi for May MacBook Pro that also works with the 7730, just doesn’t provide enough juice to charge. I find it interesting that 210watt is not enough to keep the 7730 battery at 100%. And the need of 2 TB connection is crazy!

1 Message

November 7th, 2019 07:00

I have already the 3rd TB18DC. the power button never works properly. often the Display are sorted wrong when powering up. you canT power the system up without opening the laptop and using the internal power button and keyboard.

we have several TB16 (network) and WD19 (network) not working properly. i think dell has massive quality issues these days.

aswell i dont like the FAN and the more then 30watts standby power usage.

1 Message

May 22nd, 2021 22:00

I purchased the WD19TB, and facing the same issue. Once the fan goes into constantly running, it is soooooooooooo loud!

I am wondering if a USB 3.0 docking station would not have the issues described with the TB interface (as implemented on the Dell 7530)

18 Posts

May 23rd, 2021 05:00

I tried USB 3.0 docks and didn't had much success. It was better than the Dell ThunderBolt docs, though.

The bandwidth is enough only for one 4K@60 Hz with USB 2.0, and windows had issues recognising the devices after sleep, and when connecting and reconnecting frequently. But when it was attached constantly, it worked well. I had this issue on other machines, Lenovo and Dell.

Now I attach everything directly. I think the USB C docks works for very simple setups, a screen with mouse and keyboard, and very standard devices, no gaming mouse or such.

I think these TB and USB-C ports work great for storage, network adapters and such, or when kept plugged in all the time.

1 Message

June 22nd, 2021 18:00

How do I disable the network port on the WD19DC 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

June 22nd, 2021 19:00

@jamie529  You can set it to disabled in Device Manager, but if you want to disable it at a firmware level for all systems that might connect to it, I don’t think there’s a way to do that.

1 Message

December 19th, 2023 15:21

Just tried 2 third party, AkoaDa USB C and Falwedi USB C.  Falwedi would not reliably see either HDMI or VGA montitors, or Brother laser printer on USBC. All "power save" disabled in Manager, drivers updated, Windows 11.  AdaoDA UBC would not reliably connect to Brother laser on USB C.  Pretty much giving up after seeing reviews on Dell's docks are mixed, at best.

No Events found!