Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 20th, 2019 13:00

Windows 10 reset - TPM?

Hello,

I've recently bought a used Dell precision 7510. I believe originally it had windows 7 installed which was upgraded to Windows 10 (home for refurb pcs) by the seller.

The laptop arrived with what appears to be a fresh install of win 10, however to be on the safe side I opted to perform a Windows 'reset' including erasure of all files.

During the reset a black screen appeared with the following;

"A configuration change was requested to enable, activate, clear, enable, and activate the TPM

This action will clear and turn on the computer's TPM (Trusted platform Module)

WARNING: This request will remove any keys stored in the TPM

Press F12 to enable, activate, clear, enable, and activate the TPM
Press ESC to reject this change request and continue"

I have no idea what this means and how either of the two options may affect the laptop and the 'reset'

Any help offered would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Dom

573 Posts

September 21st, 2019 02:00

Hi @Dom_155 ,

Don't worry. It usually happened when you try to do a Win10 reset with TPM support for hard drive encryption. In your case that you want to reset the whole system without any data or settings left from previous owner, simply press F12 to clear existing TPM settings.

(edited)

2 Posts

September 22nd, 2019 12:00

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply! Much appreciated. All done.

1 Message

March 31st, 2020 12:00

What will happen if you press ESC button and how to fix it?

1 Message

June 18th, 2021 14:00

hello, what if it gets stuck on that screen and F12 nor ESC works?

I tried to turn on and off a couple times but only takes me to the same screen.

please help!

1 Message

June 23rd, 2021 18:00

hey i selected the full clean option, it seemed to have gotten all the way through it, but now seems to be stuck in a loop that does this: Windows Logo, Windows Logo with Welcome below, Blue screen that shows 100% and some other verbiage that i cant see because it leave so fast, just to start over with the Windows Logo screen, Windows Logo with Welcome and so on. 

I have no clue why, I started the process, with it plugged in so I wouldnt lose power, and left so it could do its reset, get back, saw the windows logo thinking, yay! this things reset, but then I saw it again, and again and again and again....what gives???

2 Posts

June 26th, 2021 06:00

When you install tpm 2.0 again then it works fine . I dont undertstand why but the first time it dont works you must install it 2 times .   Good luck

1 Message

March 22nd, 2022 04:00

what if it gets stuck on that screen and F12 and ESC not work?

I tried to turn on and off a couple times but only takes me to the same screen.

Thanks in advance

2 Posts

April 29th, 2022 09:00

Same here. Wonder how this can be fixed. Any thoughts ?

2 Posts

April 29th, 2022 09:00

Same issue here

January 1st, 2024 20:09

@ttiskoski​ 

você conseguiu resolver ?

estou com o mesmo problema

No Events found!