Highlighted
Dom_155
1 Copper

Windows 10 reset - TPM?

Jump to solution

Hello,

I've recently bought a used Dell precision 7510. I believe originally it had windows 7 installed which was upgraded to Windows 10 (home for refurb pcs) by the seller.

The laptop arrived with what appears to be a fresh install of win 10, however to be on the safe side I opted to perform a Windows 'reset' including erasure of all files.

During the reset a black screen appeared with the following;

"A configuration change was requested to enable, activate, clear, enable, and activate the TPM

This action will clear and turn on the computer's TPM (Trusted platform Module)

WARNING: This request will remove any keys stored in the TPM

Press F12 to enable, activate, clear, enable, and activate the TPM
Press ESC to reject this change request and continue"

I have no idea what this means and how either of the two options may affect the laptop and the 'reset'

Any help offered would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Dom

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bmcowboy
3 Zinc

Re: Windows 10 reset - TPM?

Jump to solution

Hi @Dom_155 ,

Don't worry. It usually happened when you try to do a Win10 reset with TPM support for hard drive encryption. In your case that you want to reset the whole system without any data or settings left from previous owner, simply press F12 to clear existing TPM settings.

“May the Force be with Dell.”

View solution in original post

2 Replies
bmcowboy
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

Hi @Dom_155 ,

Don't worry. It usually happened when you try to do a Win10 reset with TPM support for hard drive encryption. In your case that you want to reset the whole system without any data or settings left from previous owner, simply press F12 to clear existing TPM settings.

“May the Force be with Dell.”

View solution in original post

Dom_155
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply! Much appreciated. All done.