Highlighted
mbradypw
1 Copper

0x00000002 error when installing a Brother printer on XPS 420 with Vista 64 bit

At the end of the printer driver installation I get the message, "Could not complete operation (error 0x00000002)".  Drivers for the fax and scanner portion of the Brother MFC-6490CW all-in-one install fine, but the printer driver does not install.  Happens on both wireless and USB connections.  Network connection works fine.  Downloaded latest drivers from Brother.  Windows OS has been authenticated.  Norton firewall and anti-virus have been disabled during install.  Get same message everytime after uninstalling, rebooting and trying again. Brother Tech Support says its the computer.  Dell wants to charge $69 to modify the registry or will walk me through wiping out the hard drive and reinstalling the operating system.  I am hoping there is an easier fix.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Marcelo.B
1 Copper

Re: 0x00000002 error when installing a Brother printer on XPS 420 with Vista 64 bit

I have exactly the same problem, I called Brother and nothing, they said is the OS, a very clear answer!

Everybody on the net is reporting the same issue, we deserve a solution.

0 Kudos
adam00s
1 Copper

Re: 0x00000002 error when installing a Brother printer on XPS 420 with Vista 64 bit

The problem is missing "ntprint.inf" file in "C:\Windows\inf" directory, you can get this file from another computer or try to find it somewhere in the web.

0 Kudos
Marcelo.B
1 Copper

PROBLEM SOLVED!

That was the right solution, even works on windows 7 pro 32.

YOU KNOW MORE THAN BROTHER AND MICROSOFT TOGETHER, THANKS, GRACIAS, and MORE.

0 Kudos
tachikoma
1 Copper

All Hail adam00s!!

I spent way too much time trying to get a crappy Brother MFC-495CW to print wireless from Win 7.The absence of ntprint.inf was preventing the driver installation. As stated, just copy it from another Win 7 system, 32 or 64.

thank you adam00s

0 Kudos
doc_relax
1 Copper

<ADMIN NOTE: Profane word removed as per TOU>

Didnt work for me... any other ideas?

0 Kudos