Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 18th, 2012 08:00

1235cn Firmware Update Failure via Network

I attempted to update the firmware on my Dell 1235cn printer last night via network setup.  Unfortunately the update failed and has left my printer useless.  When I turn on the printer it displays "Warming up...please wait."  This never disappears.  If I press the STOP button once it displays "Download Mode: Press Stop Key" then returns to the same "Warming up...please wait."  If I press the STOP button twice it displays, "Wait Image."

I tried to update the firmware via USB connection to my PC but it does not even detect the printer as being connected via USB.

I've read other forum discussions on this issue and other users reported using usbprns2.exe to update the firmware.  I did a Google search for this application but nothing comes up except for unreliable torrent websites that are laden with malware and viruses.

Does anyone know how to update the firmware via USB memory stick?  I tried simply dragging the firmware .hd file to the memory stick and plugging the memory stick into the front of the printer, but so far no luck.

Any help is MUCH appreciated!  Thank you!!

July 18th, 2012 18:00

Hi Aryan.  I did follow these instructions yesterday evening.  Unfortunately my printer was unplugged from the network router during the process of updating the firmware and the update failed.  Your instructions point out that the printer may be permanently damaged if this occurs?  I am skeptical of this, as others have reported solutions whereby they have been able to reconfigure the firmware update via USB memory stick and/or through updating via direct USB connection.  I've also contacted Dell technical support but they were quick to point out that it may be best to purchase a new printer.  That seems ridiculous as the printer was perfectly fine yesterday!

Anyone else have ideas?

July 18th, 2012 18:00

Hi Ryanfgrant1,

Welcome to the Dell Community,

Thank you for posting on Dell Community Forum, we’re sorry to hear that you are facing difficulties in updating the firmware for your Dell 1235cn Printer. The firmware is currently available for Windows XP, Vista 32 and 64 Bit Operating Systems.

The latest firmware can be downloaded and updated from the below mentioned link.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=R289118&FileId=2731115618&productCode=dell-1235cn&urlProductCode=False

You can also follow the installation and firmware flashing instructions mentioned below.

Download

1. Click the Download Now link to download the file.

2. When the File Download window appears, click Save to save the file to your hard drive.

Extract Files

1. Browse to the location where you downloaded the file and double-click the new file to unzip the download package

2. Click Continue.

3. Specify the location to unzip the files.

4. Click on the OK button to extract files.

After the files are extracted the message all files were successfully unzipped will appear.

5. Click the OK button to exit from the installer.

Updating firmware on the Dell 1235cn Multifunction Color Laser Printer

=============================================================

NOTICE: Do not turn off your printer or computer, or disconnect any cables during this operation. Doing this will corrupt the printer memory and the printer will be permanently damaged.

Install instructions

-----------------------

1. Via Embedded Web Server (EWS) - Only for Network Connected printers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Download and extract the zip file which contains the Dell1235cn_Vx.x.x.x.hd file
  2. Launch web browser and type in IP address of printer.
  3. Select maintenance Tab.
  4. Go to FW Upgrade.
  5. Click the browse button and locate the location of the Dell1235cn_Vx.x.x.x.hd file.
  6. Press Upgrade button to begin flashing.

2. Via firmware update utility tool

------------------------------------------

(This software is installed when user installs printer via CD) 

1. Download and extract the zip file which contain the Dell1235cn_Vx.x.x.x.hd file.
  2. Install printer via CD.
  3. After installation, press Start->Program->Dell->Dell Printer->Dell 1235cn MFP->FW Update Utility.
  4. Select USB/Network Printer (as per connectivity to the printer).
  5. Click the browse button and locate the location of the Dell1235cn_Vx.x.x.x.hd file.
  6. Select the printer to be flashed.
  7. Click Update Firmware button to begin flashing.

Please reply to the post if you have any further queries.

Thanks & Regards

Dell_Aryan_V

Dell Social Media Responder

http://www.facebook.com/Dell

http://twitter.com/#%21/dell

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE21F49ACD1A6B608&feature=plcp

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 19th, 2012 10:00

ryanfgrant1,

I don't know much about Dell Laser Printers. I help with the Dell Inkjet printers and I have noticed in some of the Dell Laser threads, that people were having problems with upgrading the firmware.

Try reading THIS THREAD.

Example: Have seen threads where the members are going from version to the latest and it doesn't work. Doing the firmware using each version and going up a step at a time, the firmware installs. Instead of jumping from Version 1 to version 3, install version 2, then install version 3.

Rick

No Events found!