Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

March 14th, 2006 13:00

1600N no power

Need help.  My 1600n has lost all power.  I have tried replacing the cord, but this has not worked.  Is there anyway to check other parts of printer to see if something is loose?  The printer was working before we moved it to another table.

3 Posts

November 29th, 2006 20:00

I have the same problem, just wonder if you fix the printer yet? I am wondering about which parts to replace too... let me know.. thanks

3 Posts

December 12th, 2006 19:00

Same here. Can't turn mine on any more. I've tried different outlets, cables, etc... but still no power.

3 Posts

December 12th, 2006 21:00

have you try to repair it? do you know how much it costs?

3 Posts

December 13th, 2006 10:00

I haven't tried to repair it. I will give Dell a call soon.

3 Posts

December 13th, 2006 14:00

got it.. thanks for the info.. i will try to call dell too.. but i can't find the right number to call.. i will let you know what happen after i call too..

4 Posts

July 21st, 2007 16:00

Any news here? The same thing happened to me. Since my printer is out of warranty, I took it apart. On the board where the power connects, there was a bank of resistors that look like they overheated--they were still warm to the touch and the PCB in the area had burnt to nearly black (safety hazard?). I don't see anything that could have caused this power fault. Oddly, the 3 fuses on that board are still intact--I would have suspected that one of them would have blown before portions of the board burnt up. I've been scouring craigslist and ebay for broken 1600n printers--though I'm worried that the burnt out board is the symptom, not the cause of the problem. Seems like we're not the only ones having this problem: http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=S2500&message.id=8897&query.id=205552#M8897 --Sandheep

4 Posts

July 21st, 2007 17:00

FIXED!

So I looked further into this and an electrolytic capacitor (C107) was fried. I replaced the capacitor (1500 microF, 10V) with another one that I had lying around (I only had a 1000 microF, 16V) and confirmed that all the resistors in the burnt bank (R102-R107, R113) were reading around 3.3kohm (you will need to pull them out to confirm). Popped the board back in and VOILA! Everything works. 1500microF capacitors are rare, go for a 2200 microF or 1000 microF, but make sure that the voltage is at least 10V.

If you would like a simpler (but more expensive) solution, you can call Dell's printer hardware parts supply (800-372-3355, m-f, 8a-6p) and request an "Engine shield assembly". It apparently runs about $50.

Hope that helps someone out there.

Sandheep

4 Posts

July 21st, 2007 18:00

FYI...this was the solution to my problem, not necessarily yours (though I suspect that my printer experienced a power spike, and apparently that capacitor was the weak link that gave first).

And...make sure that you install the capacitor in the correct polarity (note the orientation of the bad capacitor before you remove it).

Sandheep

3 Posts

July 23rd, 2007 12:00

After doing some sifting; it appears that this printer is actually a Xerox PE120/PE120i. Toner is a little cheaper too.

I kind of like mine in Dell grey (if I can get this running again). I wonder if I can get a schematic for this.

Message Edited by chipjumper on 07-23-2007 09:56 AM

10 Posts

January 2nd, 2013 03:00

Hello sandheep,

your description helped me to fix my printer. On my printer exactly the same capacitor had exploded.

Many thanks - you´ve saved me the costs of a new printer!

Widi

3 Posts

December 17th, 2013 20:00

Hello Sandheep (or anyone else that sees this). 

I hope you can help me.  My Dell 1600n printer has also lost all power.  Power cord is OK.  Can you please tell me how to test the C107 capacitor, hopefully without having to remove it from the board.  I have a multimeter. 

If you must remove it, how do you do that?  I have a soldering iron but have never attempted to remove components from a circuit board before.  And where might you be able to find a replacement capacitor?  Approximate cost?

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

3 Posts

January 5th, 2014 13:00

Follow-up...

FIXED IT!!!  It was the C107 capacitor as mentioned in the post by Sandheep above.  THANK YOU!

I read elsewhere on the internet that you can tell if a capacitor is bad if the top of it is bulged out (not flat), and sure enough mine was.  The specs for that capacitor are "10V, 1500uf, 105C temp rating" and I found some on eBay cheap (5 of them for $4 bucks with free shipping!)  The capacitor is 10mm wide and 20mm tall, but a little taller will also work fine (the replacement I used was 22mm tall).  The lead spacing (distance between the 2 leads) is 5mm, this is important otherwise the leads won't fit properly through the holes in the board.   

It was pretty easy to replace.  Just heat the solder joints on the circuit board while gently pulling it out with your fingers or small pliers.  NOTE THE POLARITY OF THE ONE YOU TAKE OUT (i.e, which side is negative) and put the new one in the same way.  The negative side is clearly marked on the capacitor with a series of dashes.  ("--").

Then heat the little bits of solder again on the board while gently pushing the new one in.  I didn't even need to use more solder.

Then just reassemble the board back into the printer and you're done.  Hope this helps others get their Dell 1600 printer working again.

1 Message

January 29th, 2014 08:00

Our 1600n is having the same problem, however, I am just the office manager and not equipped to take apart and solder any parts.  Should I just scrap and buy a new printer or would it be worth it to send to Dell for repair?

3 Posts

January 29th, 2014 18:00

A local computer repair place might be cheaper than sending it back to Dell.  But I cannot guarantee that the broken capacitor (C107) is your problem.  It very well could be as this seems to be a common problem with these 1600's, but again, I can't say for sure.  If it IS the problem, then I don't think the repair would be too expensive.  And the part is definitely not expensive.  If they charge you more than $5 dollars or so for the capacitor then they are ripping you off.  Like I said, I paid $4 for 5 of them on eBay with free shipping.   

So I would say bring it to a local shop with a printout of this thread describing the repair, and get a quote.  If you think it's too much, then maybe a new printer would work better for you.

Good luck.

1 Message

June 9th, 2014 06:00

When I plug in the 1600N printer, there is a low clicking sound on the left side of the unit. What is this? There is no power and no lights.
No Events found!