Printers

Last reply by 01-27-2007 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

1700 laser jams

I have a 1700 laser printer that at first jammed everytime I tried to print and now doesn't even jam, it justs doesn't pull any paper. I just put a new cartridge in. It is just over 1 year old. How/who do I contact to see what is wrong. Thanks, Mike
Replies (9)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I am having the exact same problem. I too have had the printer for a little over a year. Any help would be appreciated. I have a feeling I may need to replace a few parts related to the paper feeder, but I do not know what parts.
3 Silver

Other than contacting tech support, do a "tire rotation" (rotate 180, put the left on the right and vice-versa) on the rubber tires on the pickup rollers. If that works, replace the rubber tires, possibly just worn down/dried up and cracked.
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

By tire rotation do you mean the rollers that drop down on the paper tray from above to feed the paper out of the tray? Mine look fine but I don't think they were dropping down to grab the paper. While I was online to Dell chat waiting for them I was trying to print and lo and behold it started printing. At first maybe every other time but now it prints most everytime (not everytime but most). It hadn't printed in a month at least. It is out of warrenty but they were helping me anyway this time. I wnet to the new printer forum and it wasn't any help. I wouldn't feel so bad if I hadn't just installed a $95 toner cartridge. I also took the plastic piece off of the back at the bottom (I think they say to take that off if printing diff media) about the same time so I don't know if that helped or not. Thanks, Mike
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Reverse the rubber rollers inside out and then put them back on it.  If it still jams maybe it's the heating element.  Does the jam get stuck before it gets to that point or you see the paper half way out. 

We have a bunch of brand new 1710 that did this right out of the box but only with Legal paper did it jam, letter is fine.  Some worked fine and some didn't without actually going into the printer settings via it's web interface and setting each tray according to the paper that was used it in.  That seemed to fix the problems of those that did jam.  Some that did jam went away mysteriously and hope it stays that way.

Message Edited by submarine123 on 08-31-200607:27 AM

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

As I was online waiting to talk to Dell Chat it started printing about every 3rd time and as we were chatting it started printing almost everytime so it basically started working on it's own. They said something might have been stuck in the paper track some where but I checked it everywhere I could and saw nothing. It printes pretty good now, just jamming every once in a while. It's out of warranty but they tried to help and did say if it happens again I should take it in for repair. It only cost $200 so it wouldn't take much to make it a throw away proposition at this point. Mike
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Awesome! My 1700 printer was jamming (leading edge of paper got lifted out of paper tray, and was sort of curled 180 degrees ready to feed into printer, but leading edge of paper did not even make it into the printer). I joined this Forum, read about reversing the rollers, and I can print again! I didn't realize how dependant I was on this printer :)

I'm using the stock 8.5x11 tray. The rollers are the ones that drop down into the paper tray to scoop up the paper. The two rollers have small, fat rubber bands. The rubber bands come off easy. Turn the rubber band inside out and put them back on the rollers.

I imagine a good cleaning of the rubber rollers might do the same trick. Any cleaning recommendations? I've used Isopropyl Alcohol (99 percent rubbing alcohol) in similar situations, but I've heard rummors in dries the rubber out.

I'll try to order new "rubber bands" from Dell...

Message Edited by radiodave2 on 09-23-2006 06:17 PM

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

You are a magician.  Thanks - that was just what I needed.  I never would have thought of reversing the rollers.

Thanks again.
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Worked for me as well. Thank you!
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi Radiodave2,
I have going through the printer forum seeking an answer to why my wonderful 1700 suddenly and withut warning stopped feeding the paper.
Question...did your black arm drop down? Mine does not seem to.
Where did you get the new "tires"
Thanks for your help.
Latest Solutions
Top Contributor