Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

March 26th, 2007 16:00

1710 Laser printer error light

About a month ago, 2 solid lights appeared on my Dell 1710 Laser printer.... the "Toner low/replace drum" light and the "error" light.  After switching out both the toner cartridge and the drum.... the lights were still there and nothing would print. 
I called customer service and after troubleshooting for an hour, it was decided that they would swap mine out for a new one.  I recieved the new printer and its been working GREAT for one month.... until.....those two lights are back on again!!!! Again I've switched out the drum and toner cartridgewith BRAND NEW ones to no avail. 
Does anyone know what's wrong? I'm thinking there may be a manufacturer's error because 2 different printers are doing the same thing! Has anyone else had this problem?

1 Message

March 26th, 2007 19:00

I am a having a similar problem with my Dell 1700n laser printer. I read some previous postings on how to reset the menu but to no avail! very fustrating..any help would be appreciated!

16 Posts

March 29th, 2007 20:00

Try this.  We have several of these printers and it has worked for me every time.

To reset the photoconductor (PC) drum counter, perform the following steps:

1. Turn off the power using the switch on the back of the printer.
    2. Open the front door of the printer.
    3. Hold the Continue button down, power on the printer, continue to hold down the Continue button until just the Error LED is on solid, then release the Continue button.
    4. Close the front door.
      The Continue button, Ready/Data, Toner Low, and Load Paper LEDs should all be lit.
    5. Wait for the printer to complete its POST process.
      This is completed once the printer begins emitting a fan noise and the rollers start, then stop.
    6. Press the Cancel button four times slowly until the Toner Low LED is lit.

1 Message

January 27th, 2009 16:00

In regards to BD_Dude's post: Great post! Helped me get 4 of my company's 1700/1700n printers back up. This solution, however, has had no positive effect on any of the 1710/1710n printers that aren't working. So I'm still in the same boat as the OP.

1 Message

September 26th, 2009 11:00

I had exactly the same problem. Everyone thought since I had replaced drum, the counter had to be reset. Tried over and over. To no avail. Am about ready to return drum and chunk Dell printer. I promise you I will never buy another Dell product.

29 Posts

August 21st, 2010 14:00

I have the same problem, too.  I have a 1710.  I have replaced the drum and the toner.  I have tried all of the various reset methods out on the internet (hold the Cancel button..., hold the Continue button...).  Nothing works.  The Toner Low light and the Error light are both still on.  Following the procedure above, I get to step 4 and close the door.  The The Continue button, Ready/Data, Toner Low, and Load Paper LEDs all light up for about a second and then they go off and the two I mentioned before - the Toner Low and the Error lights come on.  I have repeated the process a number of times and always get the same result. 

Since it has been asked on the forum before, I am using OEM drum and toner - no 3rd party stuff.

Please help!

2 Posts

August 25th, 2010 13:00

I am also having the same problems......have tried all of the suggested solutions repeatedly.......am ready to scream :(

11 Posts

August 25th, 2010 21:00

Hello,

See you are having some issues.  I know you stated you are using OEM drum and toner.  I'm going to be that guy but you need to make sure that with this model you are using Dell and not Lexmark drum and toner.  Lexmark is the true OEM for this machine.  Dell change the color of the cover and internal chip sets to make it their own.  There are a few Lexmark service parts that are interchangeable in this model but when it comes to supplies you must use Dell or a good 3rd pty.

Just to be sure, that your lights are not blinking.  If they are, that changes the error.  According to the information you have provided the error you are having is "Unsupported Toner Cartridge" 

A.  You have a DOA Cartridge

B.  The Toner sensor needs to be replaced.

C.  Formatter board needs to be replaced.

These are great little machines when they work properly.

Let me know if you have any questions.

2 Posts

August 26th, 2010 07:00

Thank you for replying,

I work for a school system so I am not in change of purchasing......I'm copying this message to our IT coordinator.....
Here is the secquence

1. Printer would not print....had been working fine the night before
  2. Error light and replace drum light were (and are) flashing
  3. Drum (aka photoconductor kit?) replaced .... the color of the replacement drum is green and labeling leads me to believe that it is a Dell part.
  4. reset "drum" counter
  5. lights still flashing
  6. reset "drum" counter following directions from the online Owner's Manual
  7. One document printed
  8. Error light and replace drum light flashing again
  9. reset "drum" counter following directions found at the forum....several times
  10. Error light and replace drum light still flashing

11 Posts

August 26th, 2010 21:00

Not A problem.

That is for sure the drum error.  If you haven't tried it already, try putting that new drum in a known working machine or known working drum into the troubled machine.  See if the error follows the machine.  The only thing I can think of is the sensor to the drum is bad, more likely your formatter/controller card is toast.

Keep me posted on your findings.

Thanks

1 Message

September 27th, 2014 23:00

It appears I have an exact duplicate model of laser cartridge. Received a chip for the laser cartridge. Installed the new chip... no luck. Put the original cartridge back in no problems. Put the remfg cartridge in ... problems. Toner low light and Error light are steady and on . Tried to do the reset above  no luck.

Anyone have any ideas? I would like to make the remfg cartridge work; but, I have a feeling it will b e going back shortly.

No Events found!