Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

November 22nd, 2014 09:00

1720dn laser - printing badly (vertical lines etc)

Hope someone can advise. My mono laser 1720dn has not printed properly for some time - in fact it's dreadful! The lettering and dark images have white vertical lines going through them, and some of the printing doesn't even appear - just very, very faint. When it has got too bad, I remove the drum kit and wipe off lots of black toner from the rollers visible (a black rubber roller is absolutely smothered - perhaps it's supposed to be??). Whenever I've performed this cleaning operation, it prints OK again for a while.

Now I know this printer is seven years old, but it does not get a lot of use...probably printed less than 500 sheets of paper in that time, so I would have expected it to go on a lot longer.

Before the Dell, I had a Brother mono laser for nearly eight years and used it regularly in my very small business before I retired. Though the Brother was trouble free,  I wanted duplex printing so  bought the Dell after reading good reviews.

I would appreciate any advice of what might be wrong and what can be done. Or is it time to ditch it? In which case the pages I've printed on it will be the most expensive ever!!!  :emotion-6:

Thanks for any help given :emotion-1: 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 5th, 2014 04:00

The photoconductive drum is scratched.  Replace that and it will solve the problem.

6 Posts

December 5th, 2014 04:00

Anyone??.... Any ideas??

6 Posts

December 5th, 2014 14:00

Thanks for your reply EJN63.

I've not had any luck finding 'photoconductive drum' on the Dell website. Tried spelling it photoconductor and then leaving out the word drum, but each time just get "Sorry, no results were found"

By Googling, I've found photoconducter kits, but these cost £100+  and  being that the drum has lasted for no more than about 500 pages (if this is the fault) I would not pay that much to replace such a poor product, with something that may be just as poor!

In that case, I guess I'm going to have to buy a new laser printer, but it will definitely not be a Dell. Once bitten, twice shy - as they say.   

Thanks anyway 

1 Message

February 10th, 2015 11:00

Hi there,

Using Google, you can find a lot references about the drum. It says that your drum is compatible with Lexmark E250, E350, E450, IBM 1612, IBM 1622.

Now, I'm looking for a drum, too. I'm curious if the toner cartridge for Lexmark (E250, E350, E450, IBM 1612, IBM 1622.) runs on Dell 1720 printer.

July 6th, 2015 21:00

maybe you can try to reinstall the printer drivers for the Dell 1720 printer: www.driverdr.com/.../dell-1720-dn-mono-laser-printer-drivers-free-download

6 Posts

July 7th, 2015 05:00

Thank you. I have now replaced my Dell printer with an OKI printer. However, I still have the Dell so it might be worth trying to reinstall the drivers as it could always be kept as a spare (or passed on to someone else).

No Events found!