Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

January 21st, 2010 04:00

1815dn & 1600n: printing problems also after them have been replaced with 2 new !

Hi folks.

This is a nightmare!

We have a 1815dn printer that have worked fine for about 1 year. It is connected to a switch and in this office there are 3 XP computers (joined to an enterprise domain)

The printer is used also as scanner and fax.

Starting last December, sometimes when somebody print a simple doc file, for example, the printer show on it panel the status "Printing..." but nothing is printed!

Only after an hardware restart of the printer, the documents are printed.

The technical support of Dell initially changed only the controller, in a second time they changed the complete printer: but the problem still persist!

We have already tried to connect the printer directly to a computer via USB cable, but the problem still persist

We have already tried to upgrade the firmware of the printer, but the problem still persist

We have already tried to test the printer with all the last drivers available on Dell website, but the problem still persist

The computers are all XP SP3 that are updating every day via WSUS but in that period did not have particular updates related to printer services.

We don’t have particular software installed: Office 2003, Client Access, AVG AV…not more!

At the end, we have another Dell printer (1600n)  that have the same issue: sometimes, but not ever, the control panel indicates the “printing” status...

Any ideas guys? What can I try to troubleshooting better this problem?

The Italy Dell Printers Pro Support is of a low level (these are their words) so we don’t have any possibilities to solve this big issue by asking directly to Dell support (the two printers still have 2 years of warranty)

Many thanks in advance

Diego

January 21st, 2010 05:00

Ciao llynster, many thanks for your quick reply!

The problem is not directly connected to a particular print, however we usually print emails from Outlook 2003, pdf with Acrobat, Word files or print screen from AS400 client Access.

Yes, I can print a lot of test pages from control panel as the problem appear random: for example, it happended that for about 10 days of normal job activities in our office, the problem didn't appear.

I can try to un-plugged the phone line but I'll need to test this condition for serveral days: unfortunately, also if I print 1 milion of sheets today is not sure that the problem will occur...

Thanks a lot...I'm awaiting also other possible solutions

1.7K Posts

January 21st, 2010 05:00

Hi Diego,

Sounds interesting..... As a freind of mine said (who used to work in Italy)...... Sounds like a "figlio di puttana" of a problem !! :emotion-3:

Does the 1815dn print at all? Or, does it do this every time you try?

When it does print, what are you printing?

When it doesn't print, what are you trying to print?

Will it print the system data page (using the control panel)?

Allow me to ask a strange question (I saw a similar problem with another Dell printer model and wonder if you might be seeing something similar)... is there a phone line connected to either of these printers? If so, can you disconnect the phone line then try printing one of the documennts that you know will fail?

1.7K Posts

January 21st, 2010 08:00

Ciao Diego, my pleasure !

(how'd you like my "Italiano"? :emotion-2:)

I ask about the phone line because I've seen intermittent lockups occur when the phone line voltage is to high. These intermittent problems are always fun to fix and most times, all you can do is eliminate possible causes.

Good luck, sir !!

January 21st, 2010 08:00

Your "Italiano" is amazing! :emotion-5: Better than my english, of course!

Does somebody think that the problem could due the network scanner software? I remember that we had some trouble with a similar Dell network scanner: it was'nt possible to reach via Dell software so I belive that, maybe, this softwares are not properly "infallible".

I can try to remove the network scanner sw: it is possible to install another scanning sw to manage the 1815dn (and 1600n) ?

Thanks in advance

Diego

1.7K Posts

January 21st, 2010 09:00

Diego,

My advice would be to try one thing at a time. I'd try the phone line first, on one of the machines (the one that locks up the most). If you try too many things at once, it'll be harder to determine which was the actual cause.

January 25th, 2010 06:00

Hi holks,

I've tried to un-plugged the line phone but the problem still persist. I've also removed the network scanner program in all the the computers, so now I've only a TCP/IP printer installed in 3 computers with the PS driver of Dell 1815dn....but the problem still persist!

Any ideas? :-(

Many thanks

Diego

1.7K Posts

January 25th, 2010 07:00

Diego,

Forgive me if you have already said, but are the drivers installed and printer shared from the server? Or, are the drivers client installed?

January 25th, 2010 08:00

Llynster,

the printer is installed on 3 computer as a standard TCP\IP port with SNMP enabled (necessary for me)

The current driver is the last PS one available for this model on Dell website

Thks

Diego

1.7K Posts

January 25th, 2010 10:00

Diego,

This does not make any sense. We are missing something very important here.... please confirm these statements:
(please let me know if any are not correct)

• the issue is intermittent (you cannot do "one thing" to cause this to happen)
  • the issue will also occur when connected USB
  • the drivers are installed on each client, not the server
  • the printer is a network attached device and not setup as a shared printer from the server
  • removal of the phone line has been tried without success

Some additional questions for you to consider:

1. Do you have stable power? (do the lights dim when the printer "wakes-up" and attempts to print?
  2. Did you change  the SNMP name from the default?

January 26th, 2010 03:00

• the issue is intermittent (you cannot do "one thing" to cause this to happen)  
  • [DIEGO]: YES, INTERMITTENT AND WITH EVERY TYPE OF PRINT (PDF, DOC ECC)

• the issue will also occur when connected USB   
  • [DIEGO]: YES

• the drivers are installed on each client, not the server   
  • [DIEGO]: YES, ON EACH CLIENT THERE IS THE SAME DRIVER

• the printer is a network attached device and not setup as a shared printer from the server   
  • [DIEGO]: YES, IT IS A NETWORK PRINTER NOT SHARED

• removal of the phone line has been tried without success   
  • [DIEGO]: YES, THE PROBLEM STILL PERSIST ALSO AFTER THE REMOVAL OF PHONE LINE

• Do you have stable power? (do the lights dim when the printer "wakes-up" and attempts to print?   
  • [DIEGO]:  ABSOLUTELY YES: WE HAVE A UPS POWER SYSTEM

• Did you change  the SNMP name from the default?   
  • [DIEGO]: NO, I'VE LEFT THE DEFAULT SNMP NAME (pubblic)

IMPORTANT: I've discovered that often the spool doesn't reach completely the printer. I mean that in the Windows printer queu I see that, for example, a document of 70KB remain in pendig for some KB. Only 65KB/70KB for example. But sometimes there are no problems: the whole spool reach the hardware printer 

January 29th, 2010 00:00

Guys, have somebody any ideas?? 

My boss thinks to change all our printers with another brand at the end of this contract with Dell. The technical support do not have solutions and, worst, say that we must fix this issue alone as they don't have an important experience about printers problem :-(

February 12th, 2010 09:00

Folks, can somebody help me?

After this exeprience my advice is to buy only HP printers!

No Events found!