Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 20th, 2013 10:00

1815dn Scanner lock switch is STUCK

I work as an internal support student for my coop placement. We have a dell 1815 all-in-one printer, and all be it old, it still works for exactly what the office needs

Somehow in the morning, one of the employees accidentally locked the scanner. Its obvious that the lock switch is on the roof of the output tray. We even see the switch status indicator on the inside of the glass. But for some reason, it is STUCK. We have tried pulling it, pushing it, but we cannot for the life of us figure out why it wont budge. There seems to be a small locking feature beside the indicator on the inside of the glass, but we cannot get in to move the switch manually.

We have tried gently and forcefully to move the lock switch, but it will NOT budge no matter how hard we push/pull 

Has anyone solved this issue before? Or rather, does anyone know how to get inside the glass of the scanner? We understand that this printer is old, and no longer covered by any sort of warranty.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

11 Posts

June 25th, 2013 11:00

We had a representative from HP look at our printer when they were in servicing our other hardware. You failed to make it known that all switches have a small latch on the interior. All you have to do is use a small screwdriver and pull it down before attempting to pull it back into place...thats it.

Im sure glad i didnt follow your "advice" in disassembling our entire printer for something so simple. Thanks for the delayed support, we will be continuing our business relationship with other companies that have the ability to support both their own products better then "here is a service manual, good luck"

953 Posts

June 21st, 2013 06:00

Hi Sniderman,

If you are planning to disassemble the device, it is suggested to seek a technician’s help as it involves complicated steps for removing parts. You might find the Service Manual useful. Click here to view/download the Service Manual.

Hope this helps.

11 Posts

June 21st, 2013 08:00

Im not planning in dis assembly, that would be unnecessary for the issue we have. I just need a Dell licensed user to explain to me the reasoning as to why the lock switch would get STUCK and how i can go about getting it back into the unlock position.

Again, i see a small arm on the inside of the glass machine beside the lock indicator slider that seems to be holding it. We cannot even force it back into position.

This is forcing the office to undergo a restructuring contract with HP, which is not as convenient but if Dell is unable to provide support through: live chat, phone service, and now forums for support for the 1815dn...Then using HP seems like a much better solution through which to do business

953 Posts

June 21st, 2013 09:00

Hi Sniderman,

I would like to look at the problem in a greater detail and would surely see if I can provide you support. Kindly, add clear images (if possible) in your reply indicating the stuck switch so that I can research further.

11 Posts

June 21st, 2013 10:00

11 Posts

11 Posts

11 Posts

Thank you Zohaib, i really appreciate it!

I will include a post for each picture i have taken. As you will see, there are two small tabs within the interior scanning area. What may be very difficult to see is that the tallest of two blue tabs, it has a small black arm handing down that seems to hook into it. Now im not sure if this is what is causing the lock, but im sure an expert such as yourself would understand better. 

It seems like such a simple issue, but we cannot figure it out! The tab/switch on the output tray roof just wont move into the unlock position. 

See following posts for pictures

11 Posts

11 Posts

11 Posts

11 Posts

This picture shows the indicator tab (closest) and the other taller tab further back

953 Posts

June 25th, 2013 08:00

Hi Sniderman,

Thank you for the images. It looks like a mechanical issue. There is no reason as to why the switch will be stuck except for mechanical failure. Following the dis-assembly instructions in the Service Manual we can dis-assemble the Scanning Unit and can check if the switch is broken. If the switch is found merely stuck mechanically it can be restored to its original state. However a broken switch will require parts replacement and the same applies to the stuck plastic tab. If you are comfortable dismantling the machine, probably the issue will be fixed. You can refer to the “5.7 Scanner Ass'y” section on page number “5-11” of the Service Manual for detailed instructions. Click here to view/download the Service Manual.

1 Message

August 28th, 2013 16:00

Hi, my bookkeeper tried to clear a jam and accidentally pushed the lever locking the scanner.  I tried using a small flat head screw driver inserted above the blue lever to "pull" it down but nothing budged.  I'm afraid to use too much force.  Is there anyway you can show the size of the screw driver and how you did it?

I have had the 1600dn and now the 1800dn.  I love this printer and can't find replacement.  I don't want to give it up because it has never failed me.

Thanks.

AC

2 Posts

August 20th, 2014 15:00

Please explain what you mean by  pulling it down with a small screwdriver.  Where do I insert the screwdriver, in what direction do I insert the screwdriver and in what direction do you mean by "pull down"? The only thing I can get to is the slider on the top of the output area. 

No Events found!